Re: Help fixing moving led sign

carlos martin <takaforo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have an old (80s I guess) moving led display. It has 3 boards full
of leds and is programmed via a keyboard that connects via serial db9.

Upon startup it would only show squares moving sideways. I replaced
some small battery (3 button batteries stuck together) and then it
would show some letters from other alphabets (accents and circles and
what not), but mostly squares again.

It doesn't respond to any command from the keyboard.

The mainboard has three chips which I guess are processor, ROM and
RAM:

D8049HC 195
MBM2764-25
TC5517APL

I am about to replace the three of them, but I guess I would need to
find the original ROM to program this.

Can anybody help with this? Can the fault be with the processor or the
RAM and not in the ROM?

is it from cybernetic data products?

check the power supply, or run it from a bench supply. those signs can be
be fussier than you might expect.

  • Help fixing moving led sign
    ... I have an old moving led display. ... It doesn't respond to any command from the keyboard. ... find the original ROM to program this. ... RAM and not in the ROM? ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Help fixing moving led sign
    ... I have an old moving led display. ... Upon startup it would only show squares moving sideways. ... It doesn't respond to any command from the keyboard. ... RAM and not in the ROM? ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Help fixing moving led sign
    ... I have an old moving led display. ... some small battery (3 button batteries stuck together) and then it ... find the original ROM to program this. ... RAM and not in the ROM? ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Can I use a US motherboard in my European Apple IIe?
    ... This is because on an US board you'll naturally have an US keyboard ROM and an US-characters-only video ROM. ... You can replace the keyboard ROM with your original ROM as its pin compatible but this doesn't work with the video ROM. ... I have made such cables for many other ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: Apple II plus clone?
    ... The point is that if there's a long IC on the board besides the 6502, then it's very likely a Z80. ... On one level, it makes sense, a lot of Z80 boards were sold so why not toss that in, yet I sure would have thought an 80 column circuit on the motherboard would be of more immediate value. ... It used a "standard" IBM PC keyboard, but the ROM was changed so it would output ASCII rather than the odd code that the IBM does, and then a small board plugged in where the keyboard would normally plug into, it was just a small ttl serial to parallel converter, to get the serial output from the keyboard into the parallel that the motherboard needed. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)