Re: Energy required to produce gasoline

"d.s." <nodamnspamok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dbcdd22a-6506-4f7d-b161-3d2b2834728d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to find a reference for it, and can't get the right search
string.

I heard someone on NPR say that gasoline requires 25% more energy to
produce than is in the gasoline.

I know that same logic is being used to discredit ethanol. I just
want to see some credible sources regarding gasoline.

No, not 25% more energy that in the gas. It's about 25% of the energy in the
oil is used to make the gas. There's distillation, thermal cracking,
catalytic cracking, polymerization and other chemical process all of which
consume energy. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

.