Re: Energy required to produce gasoline

"d.s." <nodamnspamok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dbcdd22a-6506-4f7d-b161-3d2b2834728d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to find a reference for it, and can't get the right search
string.

I heard someone on NPR say that gasoline requires 25% more energy to
produce than is in the gasoline.

I know that same logic is being used to discredit ethanol. I just
want to see some credible sources regarding gasoline.

No, not 25% more energy that in the gas. It's about 25% of the energy in the
oil is used to make the gas. There's distillation, thermal cracking,
catalytic cracking, polymerization and other chemical process all of which
consume energy. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

  • Hydrogen
    ... Hydrogen is often advocated as an energy medium. ... energy to split the water should be nuclear or solar. ... whereas water has a density of 1.0 g/cc and gasoline about 0.75 g/cc. ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: Hydrogen heroes
    ... it is nor more dangerous than gasoline. ... Hydrogen has the highest burning velocity of any gas. ... Hydrogen has a very low ignition energy. ... Hydrogen temperature increases as the gas expands. ...
    (sci.energy.hydrogen)
  • Re: Mileage and Watts
    ... >terrain or on flat terrain. ... >then it should be to burn a gallon of gasoline ... >input energy rate for 90 hours. ... (As time progresses oil requires more exotic oil recovery ...
    (sci.energy)
  • Re: OT - Oh, You Mean THOSE Weapons Of Mass Destruction
    ... Much of the rest of the world already has gas at prices ... don't get me started on the wonders of hydrogen as a gasoline ... >> It has to be made from water, or some hydrocarbon, with a loss of energy. ... takes to extract it. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: How to Make Use of an Asteroid on Earth
    ... are 3x better than lithium ion batteries and give 300x the cost ... insignificant energy density. ... there's less risk of explosion than that of a gasoline ... the equation in the electrolyte even so, ...
    (sci.space.policy)