Re: New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis

From: Madra Dubh (ccaine_at_worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:20:25 GMT

news:<CXqWc.239560$OB3.182249@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> > "Diarmid Logan" <diarmidlogan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Conway Caine" <ccaine@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > English

> > Magnon

> > > The ancestors of the Welsh were the Native British, not the Germanic
> > > scum that most people think of when they talk about the "British"
> > > today.
> >
> > Yes but which set of Native British?
> > The question seems to be were the Welsh the original inhabitants of
England
> > (Builders of Stone Henge etc) and later were somewhat subsumed by waves
of
> > "P" Celtic invaders or were the Welsh the "P" Celtic invaders,
displacing
> > the Stone Henge crowd.
>
> There were no Celtic invasions of Britain. Celtic culture and
> languages came to Britain and Ireland through cultural transmission
> not invasion.

> > their

were

> > (Bleeding Spellchecker failed me yet again).
> >
> > > I didn't come up with the idea, it was something that I picked up in
> > > my readings about ancient Ireland. It was from that reading that I
> > > learned that the modern Irish are not descended from the continental
> > > Celts.
> >
> > The old legends say the Irish are descended from immigrants from Spain.
>
> The genetic studies show that the Irish and Welsh are closely related
> to the Basques so in that sense they are right since the Basques are a
> northern Iberian population.
>
> http://www.insideireland.com/sample19.htm
>
> http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Nature2000.pdf
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1256894.stm
>
> http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/98/9/5078.pdf
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2076470.stm
>
> http://mbe.oupjournals.org/cgi/reprint/19/7/1008.pdf
>

> > And I wouldn't dismiss those legends.
>
> The legends have some truth to them.
>

> > The Irish were very good at oral transmission of stories.
>
> So what?

Well, Jeeze, Diarmid, can't you figure that out on yer own?
Oh well.
It gives more credence to Irish myths and legends.
You have modern speculation on the one hand and legends passed down by
trained story tellers from one generation to the next.
Guess which one I'm betting on.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis
    ... >>The question seems to be were the Welsh the original inhabitants of England ... >>The old legends say the Irish are descended from immigrants from Spain. ... > to the Basques so in that sense they are right since the Basques are a ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis
    ... >>The question seems to be were the Welsh the original inhabitants of England ... >>The old legends say the Irish are descended from immigrants from Spain. ... > to the Basques so in that sense they are right since the Basques are a ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: Return Stonehenge says archdruid
    ... > relationship with the Danes and Irish Vikings is much more recent. ... The Welsh, Irish and Basques are very similar genetically. ... Wales was part of Roman Britain, though the Roman legions were not ...
    (sci.anthropology)
  • Re: New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis
    ... >> The old legends say the Irish are descended from immigrants from Spain. ... > The genetic studies show that the Irish and Welsh are closely related ... > to the Basques so in that sense they are right since the Basques are a ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis
    ... >> The ancestors of the Welsh were the Native British, ... > The question seems to be were the Welsh the original inhabitants of England ... > The old legends say the Irish are descended from immigrants from Spain. ... to the Basques so in that sense they are right since the Basques are a ...
    (sci.archaeology)