"All the software a geoscientist needs. For free!"

http://all-geo.org/volcan01010/2011/11/all-the-software-a-geoscientists-needs-for-free/

Of course, I wouldn't know because they didn't have much of this
computer stuff available for us back in the '80s when I was an
undergraduate. Still, it sounds good enough to share. Link is from a
commenter to a post at the "Eruptions blog: at
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/01/increasing-activity-at-lewotolo-in-indonesia-leads-to-evacuations/#disqus_thread

I can say something relevant to Linux OS. He mentions Ubuntu, and
that is very easy to install and use. What he says about using the
command line interface (a/k/a BASH, I believe) is also true. That is
what has most impressed me about Linux to date.

Of note, though, I think Fedora (not the Red Hat Enterprise one, just
the one currently available at http://fedoraproject.org/ ) is more
easily customized (you can do it during installation) by a non-geek ,
a bit more stable, and although I haven't tried later versions, more
secure because it runs the complete form of SELinux (when last
checked, a couple years ago, only certain versions of Ubuntu handled
very limited SELinux - that may well have changed by now).

Also of note, don't write off Windows unnecessarily. Note the
comment, for example, that the Windows version of GPS Babel offers a
graphical user interface. Windows can be real nice when you want to
be concentrating more on the reason you're using the computer rather
than in getting the computer to work well. Check around, as some
programs that once were exclusive to Linux (GIMP, for instance) now
are available in Windows versions, too.

Barb
"[A]ll of the easy causes have been found, which means that scientists
are now forced to search for ever-subtler correlations, mining that
mountain of facts for the tiniest of associations. Is that a new
cause? Or just a statistical mistake? The line is getting finer;
science is getting harder."
-- Jonah Lehrer, in "Trials and Errors: Why Science is Failing Us"
at http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/12/ff_causation/all/1
.