Re: GPS III+ maps w/ GPS V?

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> My GPS V arrived today. (Thank you to the people here who suggested
> it.) I have two questions that aren't clear from the otherwise good
> documention:
>
> 1. Can I use my old GPS III+ maps with the GPS V? It seems like the
> GPS V has MUCH more memory than my old GPS III+ (19MB vs. 1.4MB), but,
> on the other hand, the maps in the City Select are MUCH, MUCH larger.
> I used to be able to get a few counties in 1.4MB; now it seems like I
> can only get a few cities in 19MB. Can I use my old maps and just
> load the thing up? (I don't care about auto-routing - I just want to
> see the roads and such on the map). Am I missing something?

My V came with city select 4 .. depending on the area it would hold
more or less data .. from 1 country to one city ... It really depends
on the maps and you need to play in mapsource until you have squeezed
as much aspossible in the 19 MB. Consider yourself happy while yoy
find 19 MB "MUCH MUCH larger" ;)

> 2. Can I use a USB/Serial converter with this thing?

I have tried it and it didnt work .. technically it should work though

  • Re: TR - Expedition (longish)
    ... really should have put in a few more waypoints). ... I'm not sure if the wind was affecting my GPS altimeter but the ... Well after a couple of tiny ascents on the ridge anyway. ... I think we had plenty of maps between us, but most didn't bother to get them ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: gps software for walking
    ... So my requirement, to find my rocks in a featureless moor, should now read ... grid references, if only because the will me using OS Explorer maps. ... |!any good reputable walking/hiking GPS will do. ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: GPS Greece
    ... would like to use a GPS but it appears that GPS systems don't have ... maps available for anything but Athens. ... I've driven to Greece a few times now and always take a GPS to help us ... and all accurate maps have been controlled by them. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: iPad anyone?
    ... will doubtless appear for the iPad, as they are now on the iPhone. ... have pre-loaded maps like a standalone GPS and do not depend on any kind ... (in three apps covering US west, US east and Canada, but you can get ... has a free one (not offline maps, ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Dumbing Down GPS, Lat/Long Getting Lost
    ... manually enter lat/lon waypoints. ... My aircraft charts and topo maps were ... Thought my GPS III was the best thing since sliced bread. ... fastest route. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)