Re: 60CX / 76CX and WAAS

turreypond@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Thank you for responding to my question, very interesting responses.
Overall, do you think an upgrade to the 76CSX model (expense aside,
because I might have a buyer for my 76CS) is justified on the basis of
accuracy. I know the added memory card capacity would be a nice
feature, but that in itself is not significant to me.

You're welcome!

If you can trade up without paying too much I'd be tempted to do it.
I really like the increased sensitivity of the new RF correlator
stage. My older gps was an eMap which had the normal Garmin designed
RF and correlator. It tended to lose lock regularly when hiking under
tree cover. That tended to really mess up the tracklogs.

One potential down side is what to do with if you bought any of
Garmin's DRM-encrusted maps. My multi year old metroguide didn't care
that I was effectively moving the maps from my eMap to a new GPS. On
the other hand, the new Garmin map packages all limit you to only two
GPS serial numbers. If you already used up both serial numbers you
may have to talk the buyer into taking the the maps off your hands
too. The maps are locked to the GPS. If you only used up one serial
number, you might still want to think about selling the maps with the
GPS too. That way you could still add another GPS if the mood ever
struck you to buy another one.

-wolfgang

  • Re: TR - Expedition (longish)
    ... really should have put in a few more waypoints). ... I'm not sure if the wind was affecting my GPS altimeter but the ... Well after a couple of tiny ascents on the ridge anyway. ... I think we had plenty of maps between us, but most didn't bother to get them ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: gps software for walking
    ... So my requirement, to find my rocks in a featureless moor, should now read ... grid references, if only because the will me using OS Explorer maps. ... |!any good reputable walking/hiking GPS will do. ...
    (uk.rec.walking)
  • Re: GPS Greece
    ... would like to use a GPS but it appears that GPS systems don't have ... maps available for anything but Athens. ... I've driven to Greece a few times now and always take a GPS to help us ... and all accurate maps have been controlled by them. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: iPad anyone?
    ... will doubtless appear for the iPad, as they are now on the iPhone. ... have pre-loaded maps like a standalone GPS and do not depend on any kind ... (in three apps covering US west, US east and Canada, but you can get ... has a free one (not offline maps, ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Dumbing Down GPS, Lat/Long Getting Lost
    ... manually enter lat/lon waypoints. ... My aircraft charts and topo maps were ... Thought my GPS III was the best thing since sliced bread. ... fastest route. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)