Re: DICOM and Matlab

From: Cingulate (cingulate_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/15/04

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:41:18 -0500

> How good is Matlab at importing DICOM files (ie can it handle data
> from any scanner which produces DICOM images?)?
AFAIK, MATLAB doesn't complain about DICOM files from either Siemens or
GE scanners.

> Also, how does Matlab compare with something like MIMICS for
> seperating and isolating bone structures in MRI scans?

If skull-stripping and segmentation is what you're interested in have
you tried other open source packages out there ?
I'm listing a few below which are popular among the MRI community for MR
data pre-processing and analysis.

BET (Brain Extraction Tool) from the FSL guys at FMRIB -
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/
SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) - http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/
AFNI - http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/

MATLAB proves to be a little slow processing bigger datasets.