Re: DICOM and Matlab

From: Cingulate (cingulate_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/15/04

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:41:18 -0500

> How good is Matlab at importing DICOM files (ie can it handle data
> from any scanner which produces DICOM images?)?
AFAIK, MATLAB doesn't complain about DICOM files from either Siemens or
GE scanners.

> Also, how does Matlab compare with something like MIMICS for
> seperating and isolating bone structures in MRI scans?

If skull-stripping and segmentation is what you're interested in have
you tried other open source packages out there ?
I'm listing a few below which are popular among the MRI community for MR
data pre-processing and analysis.

BET (Brain Extraction Tool) from the FSL guys at FMRIB -
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/
SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) - http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/
AFNI - http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/

MATLAB proves to be a little slow processing bigger datasets.

> Thanks
>
> JG

Relevant Pages

  • Calling dll-function with function pointers as input
    ... an MR scanner. ... The callback functions get type lib.pointer. ... function pointers create a problem. ... but I guess there is no automatic 'Matlab function handle' to 'C ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • dicomwrite error
    ... I am having trouble with dicom files in Matlab 7.0. ... I wish to open a dicom CT image in Matlab, save it with dicomwrite and then import it back to a workstation for analysis. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: dicomwrite error
    ... I am having trouble with dicom files in Matlab 7.0. ... I wish to open a dicom CT image in Matlab, save it with dicomwrite and then import it back to a workstation for analysis. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • MR-scanner synchronization - parallel port, interrupt
    ... I would like to receive triggering pulse from an MR scanner ... I CAN read/write the port with Matlab (and Data ... Program Presentation works fine and accepts the signal. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: multiframe dicomwrite
    ... How did you modify it. ... I'm working with multiframe dicom files. ... When reading them with dicomread function, MATLAB create a 4D-array where image data are stored. ... When I try to create a new multiframe dicom file using dicomwrite, MATLAB creates F new dicom files, where F is the number of frames. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)