Re: Astonishing technological achievement

From: Travers Naran (tnaran_at_no-more-virii-please.direct.ca)
Date: 06/14/04

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:56:46 GMT

Kevin Wayne Williams wrote:
> Travers Naran wrote:
>
>> But that doesn't tell me what its place was. Was it the price of the
>> codec hardware or the CPU horsepower required? I suspect it was the
>> hardware because I can't imagine JPEG requiring less CPU power than
>> MPEG, but MPEG compressors requires more on-board memory, no?
>

> You need to imagine harder. MPEG encoding is much more CPU and memory
> intensive than Motion JPEG. The decoding is roughly equivalent. We had a
> more expensive box as a result, and the network technology made it
> difficult to take advantage of the bandwidth savings.

That's understandable. I figured JPEG was just as computationally hard as
MPEG to compress, but then again, MPEG has a temporal component JPEG
doesn't have to care about.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Astonishing technological achievement
    ... MPEG encoding is much more CPU and memory ... >> intensive than Motion JPEG. ... I figured JPEG was just as computationally hard ... > as MPEG to compress, but then again, MPEG has a temporal component JPEG ...
    (sci.lang.japan)
  • Re: Free Adobe Reader 8
    ... JPEG and MPEG have never been proprietary. ... The problem is that we won't be successful doing that, ... From the fact that this CGI program has been written in Haskell, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: WMM 2.1 Hangs and crashs
    ... I'm sorry to say that MPeg is not supported. ... > JPeg images are in a sense like MPeg. ... > these variations it would seem that Movie Maker cannot. ... > The solution is the same for both, convert it to a bitmap On the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: jpeg decoding speeds: x86, ARM, dsp, fpga, GPU
    ... Image processing in general or JPEG compression/decompression? ... we also need to investigate more specialized hardware, such as a GPU ... able to run the DCT on the chip, and if you design your own FPGA, that's ... that wasn't worth it (my CPU was faster). ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: Free Adobe Reader 8
    ... JPEG and MPEG have never been proprietary. ... Ehm... ... I will agree that, by design, PDF has the need to maintain some ...
    (alt.computer.security)