Re: Koporye Fortress near St.Pete

From: Andrey Frizyuk (frizyuk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/17/04

Date: 17 Aug 2004 13:02:26 -0700

Padraig Breathnach wrote...
> Is it not "Petrograd" to Russians? Except when it was "Leningrad"?

No. As the name St.Petersburg isn't particularly poetical, Russian
poets (Derzhavin, Pushkin, etc) invented Greeko-Slavic names for the
capital: Petropol(is), Petrograd, Nevograd, etc. When the WWI started
90 years ago, there was a discussion if the name should be changed to
Petrograd or to Nevograd. The former version proved more popular in
official circles, because it was first used by Pushkin in "The Bronze
Horseman". The popular nickname has always been Peter.

> I spoke last night with a family member who has just come
> back from a visit there. She tells me that it is very impressive,
> but many of the fine buildings are in a worrying state of
> dilapidation and, unless something is done, they might be ruins
> in forty years.

Overcentralization of the Russian state resulted in the fact that the
capital accumulates 90% of the national finance. After the capital was
moved to Moscow in 1918, the older city rapidly overtook Leningrad in
population and well-being. Even now, in financial terms Petersburg is
little more than an average oblast centre. It is sometimes compared to
Venice, for having lost his power, its imperial edifices are slowly
succumbing to indifference and decay.

Best wishes

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Koporye Fortress near St.Pete
    ... As the name St.Petersburg isn't particularly poetical, Russian ... >capital: Petropol, Petrograd, Nevograd, etc. ... because it was first used by Pushkin in "The Bronze ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Peterburg in other languages (was: More stupidities)
    ... capital: Petropol, Petrograd, Nevograd, etc. ... Petrograd or to Nevograd. ... because it was coined by Pushkin in "The Bronze ... The popular nickname has always been Peter. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Koporye Fortress near St.Pete
    ... As the name St.Petersburg isn't particularly poetical, Russian ... because it was first used by Pushkin in "The Bronze ... The popular nickname has always been Peter. ... just small touristic object in Italy, Piter still is city no 2 in Russia. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Two Versions of Mussorgskys Boris
    ... *** that with French, Bulgarian, German and a juts very few Russian ... Russians singers – I find it superb. ... the ONLY proper version of Boris available. ... the regular Pushkin but at his best. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Russian Mat (was: Re: Whats so archaic about Lithuania?)
    ... but few of us know Russian. ... > listening to the underside of Pushkin ... Now I'll go back to playing Severance, ... I'll listen to the undercarriage of Zoe (that's her ...
    (sci.lang)