Re: The Hamza and Alif Confusion in Arabic

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim wrote:

> In Writing is becomes even more complex. When Hamza is added to Hamza
> or to ´Alif it is written as Madda, a sign put on ´Alif. Is there a
> difference in writing and speaking between:
> Hamza + Hamza = Madda and
> Hamza + ´Alif = Madda ?

alif madda is properly 'a: and nothing else, but there is an older
traditon (dying out) of putting madda over the alif in the combination
-a:'V (V any vowel) when final, to remind the reader no to shorten the
alif.

there is a phonological rule that if there are two hamza's in a shut
syllable, i.e. 'V' then the last hamza is dropped and the vowel
lengthened thus: *'a' > 'a: (in whichcase alif madda would be used)
and *'i' > 'i: and *'u' > 'u:

  • Re: Arabic Isa for Jesus
    ... Lakhimds (an Arab kingdom in southern Iraq that was a satellite of the ... glottal stop as `ayn. ... The diacritic for hamza is a small ayn. ... alif to look exactly like a dagger alif (which may, in fact, be ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: The Hamza and Alif Confusion in Arabic
    ... consonants alif, w, y, which is called its bearer. ... Hamza always has alif at the beginning of a word and, after the vowel ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Abugida--the song
    ... to Wright they inserted it between waw and ya' ... :> so it seems to be an excuse to have alif among the letters of prolognation ... in the begining of the word the "chair" of the hamza is always alif. ... he offers another rationale for placing hamza as the first letter: ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: arabic alphabet, two "ha" letters ?
    ... The first 7 letters in this list are ... Peter, below you'll find a revised list. ... free-standing hamza had not been counted at all. ... also comne up with 188 alif because I'd counted in all the hamzated alif. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Arabic grammar question
    ... does one form the accusative indefinite of triptote nouns with last ... where the final represents a hamza with alif as carrier. ...
    (sci.lang)