Re: What was Noam Chomsky's contribution to *LINGUISTICS*?

I posted a link a little while ago to some psycholinguistic work which
amongst other things gathers some data about binding intuitions
(http://www.ling.rochester.edu/faculty/runner/dnload/Wccfl_RunneretalWCCFL02.pdf).

Alex

Brian M. Scott wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:39:53 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
> <grammatim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> <news:4375F0A6.474F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in sci.lang:
>
> [...]
>
> > See Jim McCawley's LACUS talk (it was a featured evening address) in
> > Chicago in 1993 (John Lawler might be able to say whether it's been
> > reprinted somewhere more accessible). He proposed studying
> > grammaticality judgments -- that is, polling, say, the students in
> > syntax class to discover how many found a particular example acceptable.
> > Such statistics, not just the judgments themselves, would be data.
>
> > A few years later, Postal hosted a talk at NYU by the late Jerrold Katz.
> > In the question period I introduced them to McCawley's suggestion
> > (apparently they didn't keep in touch over the years) and they both
> > called it ridiculous.
>
> I'd have thought it a rather obvious thing to do, and a very
> sensible one, too. Do you know whether anyone has actually
> published anything of the sort?
>
> [...]
>
> Brian

  • [Tournament Report] Wasserschloss Anif, Austria, Ithaca
    ... Andrew Sacket Dem/Obf stealth and bleed. ... Brian Johnston Weenie Dem bleed. ... Chris Berg Stanislava Pro/Dom bleed ... Alex Koratzanis Tzimisce Wall ...
    (rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad)
  • Re: Testing reliability
    ... Alex Rodriguez wrote: ... >>credibility to the questions about the EPO test since that has not been ... Brian the point is that unless something is thoroughly and openly ... Bill C ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)
  • Re: Wanted: Nice firepower around Illinois
    ... see flaws in that 25 year old game. ... > Alex, yes he did, I didn't like the looks of the playfield. ... > Thanks for the heads up though, Brian ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Wanted: Nice firepower around Illinois
    ... Alex, yes he did, I didn't like the looks of the playfield. ... Thanks for the heads up though, Brian ... > Didn't Leanordsg just have one for sale. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Tomorrows LVA QOD
    ... I spent a week in May looking at "packed" 6-5 tables at Binion's ... and the Hilton, amongst others. ... For Brian K's Las Vegas & Pictures Go To....... ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)