Re: What was Noam Chomsky's contribution to *LINGUISTICS*?

Helmut Richter wrote:
> Depends. As far as I have understood (and this is really severly limited),
> Chomsky proceeds in three steps:
>
> [snip]
>
> (2) assume a common "deep" structure by which different "surface"
> structures may be explained

This is the common confusion of Deep Structure with Universal Grammar
(otherwise known as the "Universal Base Hypothesis"). Chomsky sort of
kind of maybe suggested that a weak form of the UBH might be true in
the 1960s, but there's little real connection between Deep Structure
and UG (as shown by the fact that DS went out of fashion amongst
Chomskian syntacticians a decade ago but UG didn't).

Alex

  • Re: I think these are wrong
    ... if people are not aware that the sound they are making is an ... > deep structure and draw those tree diagrams? ... Has Chomsky been banned from ...
    (sci.lang.japan)
  • Re: [OT][IT] Fucking Vista Again
    ... with much of what Chomsky says, and although I'm aware that he's sort ... of give up on Deep Structure and primitive language concepts in ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: [OT][IT] Fucking Vista Again
    ... with much of what Chomsky says, and although I'm aware that he's ... sort of give up on Deep Structure and primitive language concepts in ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: [OT][IT] Fucking Vista Again
    ... with much of what Chomsky says, and although I'm aware that he's ... sort of give up on Deep Structure and primitive language concepts in ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: help! looking for a pdf book.
    ... on in speakers' heads. ... into question his assumption about universal grammar. ... Chomsky and his ...
    (sci.lang)