Re: Your first "linguistic" memory

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
ranjit_mathews@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

The S-T phonemicization is /iyt/ /it/ /pit/ respectively.

Was the notation /iy/ chosen because its realization was believed to be
[i] with a [j] off-glide?

Is tense/lax operative in Malayalam? Mohanan (who is a theoretician) in
WWS uses [i] and [i:] (but it's possible he was edited by Bill Bright,
one of whose hats is Dravidianist).

It's /i/ and /i:/ with /i/ having either 2 or 3 allophones depending on
the dialect. The allophones in 2 allophone dialects are described here:
http://www.languageinindia.com/sep2002/chap2.html
/i/ High front unrounded tense vowel.
[I] Lower high front unrounded vowel occurs in the environment c-c.
[i] High front unrounded tense vowel occurs elsewhere (in other
contexts).

Curiously, the phoneme is described as tense but when it comes to its
realizations, only one of them is described as tense. My Malayalam [I]
is the same as my English [I] and isn't very different from other
English speaking Malayalis' [I] or Americans' realization of /I/
between front consonants (eg., [sIt]). So, my English [I]) would
presumably be described as lax. Wouldn't that make my Malayalam [I] lax
too?

.