Re: Why "aren't I"?

Brian M. Scott wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:25:25 GMT, Thomas Carter
<T.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
<news:pan.2006.06.29.15.25.24.849326@xxxxxxxxxxxx> in
sci.lang:

Anybody know why and how the usage of "aren't I" became common place,
rather than the expected "am I not"?

<http://www.languagehat.com/archives/001061.php>

Brian

Any comment about the evidence for Dr. Language's "English doesn't like two nasal consonants like 'm' and 'n' together" as a generalization? The sequence "amn't" doesn't sound particularly different from the sequence in "comment", "common", "phenomenal", "amnesty", "autumnal", etc.

  • Re: Well Ordering the Reals
    ... Thanks Brian. ... > One can have a sequence of finite terms whos limit is not a finite ... The entire set is the limit of the bounded sets as ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Cutlass training
    ... Brian Sharrock wrote: ... the plate illustrates a sequence of movements forming ... Title: THE BRITISH FLEET IN THE SEA OF MARMORA: CUTLASS DRILL. ... This lovely historical engraving shows these sailors on board ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Why "arent I"?
    ... doesn't like two nasal consonants like 'm' and 'n' ... doesn't sound particularly different from the sequence ... nucleus, not an onset (unless, of course, you have an ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: OT - Interesting Youtube Project
    ... Brian goes: ... The girl's sequence is better. ... it in one afternoon with a comb and a box of specs. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Converting fixed-to-free format
    ... My coco will optionally add "sequence numbers" after column 72 ... <snip a bunch more> ... Gary Scott ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)