Re: Etymology of "Elvis"

Richard Fangnail wrote:
Does anyone know where the name Elvis came from? Behindthename.com
suggests it was derived from Alvin. I've read some books about Presley
and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. They
were simple folks from Mississippi.

Several years after EP's death, a newspaper article claimed that
<Elvis> was a corruption of the Norwegian or Swedish compound adjective
<allvis> 'all-wise'. It was not explained why "simple folks from
Mississippi" would have used such a name, nor were any sources cited
for this information.

  • Re: Etymology of "Elvis"
    ... I've read some books about Presley ... and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Etymology of "Elvis"
    ... I've read some books about Presley ... and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Etymology of "Elvis"
    ... I've read some books about Presley ... and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. ... were simple folks from Mississippi. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Etymology of "Elvis"
    ... I've read some books about Presley ... and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Etymology of "Elvis"
    ... I've read some books about Presley ... and they never mentioned where his parents got the name Elvis. ... Google for "Saint Elvis of Munster", who is supposed to have baptized ... Saint David, and may be the same one as "Saint Ailbe". ...
    (sci.lang)