Re: Where does the name come from?

"Paul J Kriha" <paul.nospam.kriha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:45457b2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ah, was that a kind of a river going around in a circle like Styx
around Hades?

Styx ..
I hadn't heard this word since when, eons ago, I studied Dante
Alighieri, at junior school:
"Lor corso in questa valle si diroccia:
fanno Acheronte, Stige e Flegetonta;
poi sen van giù per questa stretta doccia
infin, là ove più non si dismonta
fanno Cocito; e qual sia quello stagno
tu lo vedrai, però qui non si conta."
"They in their course,
Thus far precipitated down the rock,
Form Acheron, and Styx, and Phlegethon;
Then by this straiten'd channel passing hence
Beneath e'en to the lowest depth of all,
Form there Cocytus, of whose lake (thyself
Shalt see it) I here give thee no account."
Hell, XIV

Honestly I cannot answer to your question but, from a quick search on
google, and in particular on theogonies, I behold that worldwide there
is a notion of a solid matter surrounded by a liquid one, let me have
some instances.
Scandinavian
From Ymir's flesh, Odin and his brothers made the earth, and from his
shattered bones and teeth, they made the rocks and stones. From Ymir's
blood, they made the rivers and lakes, and they circled the earth with
an ocean of blood.
Greek
Now these rivers are many, and mighty, and diverse, and there are four
principal ones, of which the greatest and outermost is that called
Oceanus, which flows round the earth in a circle
Plato, Phaedo
Mayan
With the aid of his two sons, the maize god was able to rise to new life
through the cracked carapace of a great turtle, representative of the
earth floating on the surface of the primordial sea.

This makes me think of theogonies as not naive and primitive
representations of world's physical origin, but as symbols and metaphors
of something else.

Let me back to Styx:

"The river of which many know its name, without knowing its origin or
what it really stood for. A river that separates the world of the living
from the world of the dead. Styx it is said winds around Hades (hell or
the underworld are other names) nine times. Its name comes from the
Greek word stugein which means hate, Styx, the river of hate. There are
five rivers that separate Hades from the world of the living,
they are:
1.. Acheron - the river of woe;
2.. Cocytus - the river of lamentation;
3.. Phlegethon - the river of fire;
4.. Lethe - the river of forgetfulness;
5.. Styx - the river of hate."
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/s/styx_river.html

Therefore, if Styx surrounds Hades nine times and the rivers are five,
to trespass from the reign of the dead to that of the living ones is it
necessary to cross thirteen circles?
In my opinion the hardest river to cross is Phlegeton, the river that
flows with fire which burns and does not
consume.

  • Re: Where does the name come from?
    ... Form Acheron, and Styx, and Phlegethon; ... From Ymir's flesh, Odin and his brothers made the earth, and from his ... A river that separates the world of the living ... Styx it is said winds around Hades (hell or ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Name Plutos Satellites.
    ... a River Styx in my home town of Newcastle, ... arterial road crossed the Styx. ... course, it's Styx Creek, not River. ... preach as a layman in the Anglican Cathedral in Newcastle. ...
    (alt.usage.english)