Re: Where does the name come from?

"Colin Fine" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eitrri$6m2$1$8302bc10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dusan Vukotic wrote:

Colin Fine wrote:
Dusan Vukotic wrote:
Colin Fine wrote:

Sorok may have a perfectly reasonable etymology, but I would not without
justification take it as related to 'četiri'.

But as I said, that's not the point - I know that the questions I raised
have perfectly good historical answers.

Colin
Цыганенко Г. (Tsyganenko G., Etymological dictionary of the
Russian Language Этимологический словарь
русского языка; Kiev 1989, pp.393-94) says the word
"sorok" is an Eastern Slavic word; it first appeared in written speech
of the twelve century. Its origin is likely to be related to the second
meaning of the word SOROK" which denotes "SACK" , which used to
contain 40 sable skins. She also relates it to the word "sorochka" (a
sort of woman shirt, Serb. suknja.

Please compare the following words:

Sack, Italian sacco (sack, , Eng. jacket, Sp. jaco, Serb. džak (sack),
Eng. socks and skirt, Serb. suknja; Gr. sykchos (a kind of shoe), Lat.
soccus; Eng. short < O.Eng. scort Serb skratiti (shorten)

I hope you see relation between 'sack' and 'peasant clothing'. If I
say that all these words originated from the ur-basis SUR_GON (Serb.
'sukno' lint, material, fabric, cloth, web, tissue) I am afraid you
will find it nonsensical again.

All the many 'sac' words found in IE (and other European) languages are generally reckoned to have been borrowed via Greek from Hebrew.
There is no reason to link it with 'sock' 'skirt' or 'jacket'.

<Sock> is from OE <socc>, from Latin <soccus>

As you say, it appears that none of these four groups of words are related etymologically.

John.

.