Re: Russian declension of last names ending in -enko

Sericinus hunter <serhunt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:elmh2q$lo4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul J Kriha wrote:
Sericinus hunter <serhunt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:elk0es$bmp$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marc Adler wrote:
On Dec 11, 12:38 am, "Paul J Kriha" <paul.nospam.kr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Are you sure your Russian "Pavlin dom" wasn't a house
belonging to a female?
Pretty sure. I think Sericinus is Russian, and he's the one that gave
the examples with male names.
Well, it can be. But we would need to invent a female name
Pavlya or Pavla for that.

First, I haven't even thought of male names like Petya
only true female names Petra, Pavla, etc which would
also take -in possesive.

There are no such names in Russian.

Okay, they are not native R. names, but thousands of Petras
and Pavlas live in Russia and the language must somehow
handle that.

How would Russian handle Pavko?
Unlike Petya there is a hard consonant "k" in Pavko.
AFAIR both Pavko and Pavka exist.

Maybe, but I never heard of Pavko. "Pavkin dom" is what it will be.

Before I mentioned Pavko/a I checked with Google. There
seem to be enough examples of both Pavko and Pavka
surnames.

Isn't Pafko a common nickname for Pavel?

"Pavki dom"? or is it also "Pavkin dom"?

When I say "Pavki dom" I know I am completely under
the influence of WSl "Pavky du'm".

You can say "dom Pavki", just like "dom Pavla". Inversion is
possible too but it would not sound normal in everyday speech.

Okay, thanks.

pjk

  • Re: Russian declension of last names ending in -enko
    ... But we would need to invent a female name ... I haven't even thought of male names like Petya ... How would Russian handle Pavko? ... Unlike Petya there is a hard consonant "k" in Pavko. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: Interesting Article on the American Young Guns
    ... Touts Ryan Harrison (male) and Coco Vandeweghe (female) as the only ... family are _Russian_, and seem to have few good memories of what it ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Russian declension of last names ending in -enko
    ... the examples with male names. ... But we would need to invent a female name ... Pavlya or Pavla for that. ... Unlike Petya there is a hard consonant "k" in Pavko. ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: First Kalamazoo Report
    ... The question would be then, in Russian, if the phrase ... language'), "Rodnoy Yazik", strictly male. ... 'Rodnaya Rech' (strictly female), mostly in context 'I hear sound of ... 'Russian'  evolved much more than Ukrainian so existence of the female ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: First Kalamazoo Report
    ... :>: By around 390 most of the Roman military had left Britain for the ... :> to later Latin-based French) on the English language? ... The question would be then, in Russian, if the phrase ... 'Russian' evolved much more than Ukrainian so existence of the female ...
    (soc.history.medieval)