Re: ``Ken and I being on the radio together''

"Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote...
On Jan 29, 6:58 am, Adam Funk <a24...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-01-28, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

I clarified earlier that I meant both situations (ESL and high school
English). [...]

>> Nathan Sanders:
>>> Native English speakers won't make an error, because they have >>> already
>>> internalized the difference. It doesn't need to be taught to them,
>>> because they don't need conscious awareness of it to use -ing
>>> "properly" (unless there's some difference between standard and >>> spoken
>>> English that you're thinking of that I'm unaware of).

>> He probably wants them to throw a "his ...-ing" into their writing
>> every so often to show off.

If you have explained nouns and adjectives, you will need to explain
that there are VERB+ing nouns and VERB+ing adjectives, so they can
parse both "Smoking is bad for your health." and "There's the smoking
gun."

Why do they need to "parse" them?

Do you suppose that the meaning and use of one is opaque to (a) an
English-speaker

Probably not, though if you think there's any point in teaching any "grammar" at all in school (personally, I express no opinion on the matter), then it makes sense to point out this particular idiosyncracy, which the student has almost certainly not been conscious of previously.

> or (b) an ESL-learner who knows the other?

Almost certainly it _would_ be opaque to an ESL learner who has learned the other function of "-ing", especially if his other language had no similar constructions (i.e., no "verbal adjectives" or "verbal nouns"), as is the case for a fair number of the world's languages.

John.

  • Re: Leodhasach & Hearasch - Gaelic help please
    ... course our own traditional language is even more neglected than Gaelic is. ... who speak English soon get the gist of it. ... is someone who truly appreciates Scottish culture in that you won't find ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... And they came to teach English as part of the "policy of attraction" ... a Filipino is deemed illiterate even ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ... wrote a textbook to teach the English language as early as 1902. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... this change was documented in books written in English or other ... European languages not Tagalog or any other of the Filipino dialects. ... second language, unfortunately it seems that we did not use these ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: OT: Six out of 10 young Americans cannot find Iraq on a map
    ... Language became a political and an emotional issue as early as the ... proposed English Language Amendment, ... Despite the myth that German had once come close to replacing English ... The story of the German Vote is occasionally trotted out by ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • OT - A Country of Illiterates and "Survivor" Watchers Decides on a Language
    ... US Senate declares English the "national language" ... The U.S. Senate on Thursday voted to make English the "national ... The answer can lie only in the profound crisis and decay of American ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)