Re: "chook" in Australian, "tyuk" in Hungarian

Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:49:14 +0000: Jack Campin - bogus address
<bogus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: in sci.lang:

The Australian National Dictionary Centre derives Australian
English "chook" (chicken) from a northern English and obsolete
Scots word "chuck". There seem to be a few problems with this:
most Australian dialect derives from southern English forms,
and the vowel the OED gives for "chuck" is the same as that in
"duck" or "pluck", not the one in "chook".

If the word "chook" was a short vowel in English:
In Northern English, that vowel and the one in "chuck" are the same
(usually realised as an unrounded [o].)
That "put" and "but" are spelled with the same vowel is not a
coincidence.

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

  • Re: At the end of the first day...
    ... important signs are in English and Spanish. ... Despite your liberal preaching's you are obviously nothing more than a racist and a bigot Chuck. ... Without an explanation it seems that you must have some real racial issues if you read Chuck's comments as racists or that Chuck represented himself as a bigot. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: At the end of the first day...
    ... important signs are in English and Spanish. ... What happened to "Chuck doesn't attack JimH, ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: It is time to close down Mosques and izlamic centers in USA
    ... Then you should chuck the entire personell in pentagon and the english ...
    (soc.culture.iranian)
  • Re: The Future of Young Adult Fiction?
    ... I'm not trying to cause heartburn, but I also want to report that Alma has ... a native level command of idiomatic English. ... Chuck in as to what kind of understanding I have of what he's doing., ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: segfault w/ block, but not file scope
    ... >>> adequate context. ... >> English - hope this is not an english literature group. ... noone has time and patience to reply to trolls. ... > Chuck F. is not a troll. ...
    (comp.lang.c)