Re: The language of The Mummy

On Sep 29, 1:59 am, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 29, 1:14 am, Christopher Ingham <christophering...@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sep 29, 12:46 am, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 29, 12:24 am, Christopher Ingham

<christophering...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 28, 11:38 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Sep 28, 10:52 pm, Christopher Ingham

I've been referring to the geographically specific area of Roman Syria
since my initial post on the topic,

Not explicitly, you haven't.. That makes it quite irrelevant for
either the present day or for the time of creation of the Syriac
language.

There is arguably some relevance, since the birth of the Aramaic
literary language in question came into existence in an area that was
under Greek cultural influence and Roman rule. The English word
"Syriac" was not exactly a neologism.

<snip>

There is an inceasing tendency among Greco-Roman sources beginning in
the first century CE to restrict "Syrian" to the Aramaic of provincial
Syria, and "Assyrian" to the Aramaic spoken east of the province. In
late antiquity, as I indicated yesterday, "Syrian" was used to
describe almost everything that was Near Eastern.

We, however, do not speak "Greco-Roman." "Syrian" is not a language
name. "Assyrian" is a dialect of Akkadian, and, in modern times, a
variety of NENA.

But "Syriac" derives from the Greco-Roman name for Aramaic –
specifically, "Syrian/Assyrian."

not neccessarily Assyrian. scholars debate whether the two names are
related.

Whether they are related or not, they were used interchangeably in
classical antiquity and later.

that's the ambiguity of Classical Latin and Greek authors. fortunately
we are not stuck in that time period.

at any rate, etymology does not determine meaning, it is usage, and
"Syrian" is not a language name, unless you mean short for Syrian
Colloquial Arabic, the modern Arabic colloquial(s) of modern Syria. an
entirely different thing,

When the word occurs in the context of language, e.g.,_Syrus lingua_,
it means "Aramaic."

but we are discussing modern English usage.

I think you've missed the discussion of the last four days, since you
seem unaware that I've already demonstrated that "Syriac" is still
used in more than one way.

Christopher Ingham

<snip>

"Aramaic," of course, comes from a geographic term, Aram, of ancient
and clear use and etymology.

So does "Syriac" (_Suriakos, Syriacus_), derived from"Syria,"
ultimately (with aphaeresis of the first syllable) from "Assyria," a
long-lived major empire of the region.

My, my. You're a lot more certain of the origin of "Syria" than any
scholar who has written on the topic.- Hide quoted text -

Instead of "ultimately" I should have written "antepenultimately." ;-)

Christopher Ingham- Hide quoted text -