Re: Magdalenian (year seven)

On Oct 5, 9:14 pm, DKleinecke <dkleine...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 4, 8:33 pm, Yusuf B Gursey <ygur...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 4, 10:36 pm, DKleinecke <dkleine...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 4, 2:39 am, Yusuf B Gursey <ygur...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 16, 10:35 pm, DKleinecke <dkleine...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 16, 10:03 am,Yusuf B Gursey <ygur...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But it seems to me that inscriptions are not what we should be looking
at exclusively. ALL the Arabic material (and Peter has said there are
tens of thousands of documents) from the first three-quarters of the
first Islamic century are in play here.

It is possible that the three-dots-one-over-each-tooth is a special
form from Monumental Kufic and has nothing do with the vulgar
scripts.  It is quite conceivable that an craftsman-artist making a

again, see:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Papyri/PERF558.html

22 AH has three dots on shin, one on each tooth.

the script is "vulgar", not Monumental Kufic.

That is what I wanted - older evidence.  Unfortunately the only
picture I have on my computer of that papyrus (downloaded  from who
knows where) isn't clear enough for me be sure of the letters much
less the dots.  Is your better picture online?  if so where?

see the URL in Islamic Awareness I just gave.

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Papyri/PERF558.html

Monumental Kufic probably didn't exist yet in 22 AH. Considering how

there were other square scripts (this one Hijazi from 24 AH):

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Inscriptions/kuficsaud...

at any rate the oldest inscription in Arabic Script (not Nabatean),
which is pre-Islamic, the Zebed Inscription, is in a square script:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Inscriptions/zebed.html

much graffiti they produced the first century Arabs were oddly
reluctant to create official inscriptions.  Or were the later

Arabic didn't become the sole official language until AbdalMalik, and
it took a while for the Muslim Arabs to establish an independent
buraeaucracy and have the leisure time to make major constructions and
monuments.

generations destructive - they did meddle with the inscription on the
Dome.

I'll leave the definition of Monumental Kufic to Peter.  It looks to

the early upright angular script is called Kufic because it was later
developed in Kufa. originally it was ascribed to Hira (again in S.
Iraq) and many modern experts at writing consider this likely. another
variant which is slanted is called Hijazi.

opposed to this is the cursive scripts that developed for writing on
parchment or papyrus for casual usage.

me like a re-imagining of the regular script (perhaps inspired by
ornate Syriac) and may have been created specifically for the Dome

you have a great imagination.

which was, so far as we know, the first Muslim attempt at a grand
structure. It might have been intended to eclipse Ibn al-Zubayr's
hypothetical Kaba in Mecca.  Abd al Malik had access to much greater

there is great reason to believe the Ka`ba was ancient - idols found
after a bomb explosion, and mention of a cultic center of Islam by
early non-muslim sources, and epigraphy found in Mecca and the routes
leading to it.

resources than Ibn al-Zubayr and could easily out-grandeur him.
.