Re: Wordplay in Genesis 2? (Hebrew)

On 2011-11-21, António Marques wrote:

Me, I'd appreciate it if translations were consistent in always using the
same translation for the same original. In the original we have the
Tetragrammaton (which yes, nobody knows how to pronounce, due to the Jewish
taboo, which in turn I don't find justified because it was to be about
unworthy using of the name, and considering the bible as unworthy sounds
like heresy to me), Adonai, Elohim, and various Aramaic and Greek versions,
and I think it wouldn't be asking too much that each of those forms had a
consistent translation (ok, where a clear correspondence exists between
forms in the different source languages, it's acceptable that the
translation uses only one; and where the naming in the LXX differs from
the MT, give precedence to the latter).

OTOH, the New Testament writers quoted from the LXX & referred to it,
and AIUI it was *the* Bible for the early Christians, whereas the
Masoretic Text was (according to Biblical scholars) edited later to
suppress textual variations. I think there's a good argument to be
made that translators working *for Christian purposes* (rather than
for Jewish purposes, for example) should give the LXX precedent over
the MT.

--
Oh, I am just a student, sir, and I only want to learn
But it's hard to read through the rising smoke

  • Some Thoughts on Gravestone Translation
    ... Like others who participate in translation requests, ... the later development of Jewish eschatology (so beautifully ... Therefore, on gravestones, the name - the Shem -- of the deceased often ... As with other types of cultural literacy, ...
    (soc.genealogy.jewish)
  • Re:Help with Translation of two documents Old German and, Canadian Latin
    ... Can anyone Translate this marriage record from Winnipeg? ... I have no contact with this branch of the family or even know the names of her children how do you find Clara & Albert Wilson descendents in USA?? ... Here is a second document in German which I also need a translation for. ... My Gr Grandmothers name is Iorena her only full sister is Aklina both about 1/2 way down the page what would the Jewish equivalent for these names be??? ...
    (soc.genealogy.jewish)
  • Re: Where to Find the Tanakh?
    ... a beginner in Jewish studies. ... The JPS is generally considered quite ... That is to say that the Orthodox tend to prefer Artscroll while the ... the JPS isn't as good a translation as the artscroll. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Elochim?
    ... You end up making assumptions about the translation that any Jew ... The reason I claim these are "Jewish" is actually because the model describes ... of good and evil. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish)
  • jewish interprtation of "suffering servant" and
    ... Jewish Translation from the Hebrew ... "Wondrous adviser" only appears in Isaiah 9:5 so there ...
    (alt.religion.islam)