Re: Can We Quantify over Everything?

On May 21, 12:20 am, Peter_Smith <p...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Can We Quantify over Everything?

Sure. Just consider our /universe of discourse/ to consist of
"everything". Then "Ax" would comprise _everything_.

Well, its not as simple as *that*, or else Augustin Rayo and Gabriel
Uzquiano wouldn't have recently edited a fascinating OUP book of a
dozen essays by front-rank logicians vigorously debating the issue.

For a start, we might wonder here about the notion of a universe of
discourse: the usual textbook definition of a universe of discourse
treats it as a set -- but there are familiar problems about the idea
of a set which contains everything (e.g. all the ordinals ...).

====================
logicmatters.blogspot.com

Most probably you are referring to the book 'Absolute Generality',
whose introduction can be found at http://web.mit.edu/arayo/www/Introduction.pdf

Regards

  • Re: Damn you, FEDEX! or Nikon D40 lost in Springfield, MO blackhole.
    ... the 2 mp Mavica he had been using with a Nikon D40. ... After shopping around, he got me to order one for him. ... The shipper had it insured, but from what I have read it could take weeks to sort this crap out. ... You may get your insurance from FedEx and a couple weeks later they find it and deliver it. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Code breakers beat security scheme of car locks, gas pumps
    ... >> If it costs you $1M to crack a car code, then unless you've got a very ... On some Intel may be faster, on some AMD. ... I'd hesitate to say windows may be faster, as if it is, it's usually possible ... to modify linux to be as fast. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: python 3 constant
    ... is require Python to change to accommodate your need. ... Can you see the slight difference? ... Best regards, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: The Sci-Fi Rejection Letter That Time Forgot
    ... nations have stockpiled arsenals of these incredible bombs and the time the story is set. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Wachstumssaison Flieder
    ... Handbreit über dem Boden. ... "Fliederkrimi" am Samstag halten heute meine Nerven nicht aus. ... Dorothee ...
    (de.rec.garten)