Re: Answer to OJ

On 29 Mrz., 22:56, Virgil <Vir...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is an artifact of the completion of any infinite process that
something exists that did not exist at any stage of the process.
The something, in this case, includes all those uncountably many
unconstructed paths.

But if we

accept it, then we must accept this also for Cantor's list. The
following list

0.0
0.1
0.11
0.111
...,

after completing construction, also contains the path 0.111....

A list is not a tree, and a listing does not ever list any object whose
position in the list does not exist.

Neither does a tree contain any path that was not used for
construction (in my proof A).

Then however, the diagonal number 0.111... that you construct in above
list, when replacing 0 by 1, is in the list.

Not as a member of any mathematically acceptable list.

So paths can creep, as sequences of bits, into lists but cannot creep,
as sequences of digits, into lists. How lucky we are that paths know
the difference!.

So that WM claims that there are finite sets of naturals numbers that DO
NOT have largest members?

In what freak show can one find such wonders displayed?

In reality.

Regards, WM

  • Re: HERC 97 SCI.MATH 0
    ... the lists have nothing 'interesting' about them. ... random countable list of flip sequences I can generate the diagonal. ... Then the diagonalization argument ... flipping sequences, match the same number of initial digits of some ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: HERC 97 SCI.MATH 0
    ... the lists have nothing 'interesting' about them. ... random countable list of flip sequences I can generate the diagonal. ... Then the diagonalization argument ... flipping sequences, match the same number of initial digits of some ...
    (comp.theory)
  • Re: HERC 97 SCI.MATH 0
    ... the lists have nothing 'interesting' about them. ... random countable list of flip sequences I can generate the diagonal. ... Then the diagonalization argument ... flipping sequences, match the same number of initial digits of some ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Problems I have with 1.999...=2
    ... we come to the problem of what these infinite decimal ... we know that rationals are dense on the real number ... infinite lists only contain rational numbers for our purposes here so ... As far as I understand these special sequences are ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Interface of the set classes
    ... >> Sequences have order, sets don't. ... neither in Python nor in C++ can you switch freely. ... You make claims, above, about the container templates in C++'s standard ... Python's lists, sets and dicts, and in what aspects precisely? ...
    (comp.lang.python)