Re: new to Numerical Recipies

From: Rich Townsend (rhdt_at_barVOIDtol.udel.edu)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:49:22 -0500

beliavsky@aol.com wrote:

> I don't wish to unfairly criticize Pascal. The book "Pascal for FORTRAN
> programmers" has many code examples in Fortran 77 and Pascal, and I
> find the Pascal code more readable, even though I have never used the
> language. Fortran 90 did add the missing features of structured
> programming that Fortran should have had long before, and whose absence
> provided part of the motivation for Pascal.

But, lest anyone here has forgotten, Real Programmers don't use Pascal:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

The question is, who here is the Real-est Programmer? Nominations are
open, my vote is cast for James V B, for his wonderful (ab)uses of
TRANSFER(). I'm sure that, when WWIII kicks off, it will be wholly due
to this particular intrinsic.

cheers,

Rich

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help from fellow Fortran Users
    ... >> department head winced and commented that Fortran is no longer being ... Portability, for programs written in any language, depends on four ... A compiler that generates code for an AXP platform is not ... Some programmers are just so impressed with their own knowledge of the ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: question about efficiency of fortran in parallel environments
    ... > Other people (the PETSc programmers) have said it doesn't make any difference ... > whether I use C or Fortran. ... any particular language is the secret to efficiency. ... programmers can write highly efficient code in C. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: A petition to J3 apropos FORTRANs future
    ... Fortran folded like an accordion and gave ... The vast majority of programmers are not doing "scientific ... In theory, programmers would just "use the best language for the job", ... But there are reasons, both real and silly, why one ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Ten Commandments for Fortran Programming?
    ... As long as we take the view that Fortran is for number crunching, C is for OS interfacing, and Visual Basic is for quick and dirty GUIs, and we interpret statistics in light of how a particular language is presently used by a majority of users, we fail to acknowledge and encourage broader use of Fortran for other programming domains. ... This can be done without in any way destroying fundamental advantages of Fortran for number crunching or overburdening application programmers with superfluous features. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Fortran has little support for object-oriented
    ... Isn't cobol the Lingua Franca of business? ... quants as they are called as short for quantitative ... of advertising for interface programmers. ... ex-physicists so may have grown up doing Fortran. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)