Re: cone inside sphere problem - find the dimensions of the cone of max volume

In article <26801510.1133296839363.JavaMail.jakarta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
jdavca <msfca@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Problem:
>The vertex of a right circular cone and the circular edge of its base
>lie on the surface of a sphere. The sphere has a radius of 5 feet.
>Find the dimensions of the cone of maximum volume that can be fitted
>into the sphere.
>
>I'm really not sure what to do with this one!
>
>I appreciate anyone who can help me with this...

Let h be the height of the cone and r be the radius of the base of the
cone. Note that the distance from the center of the sphere to the base
of the cone is |h-5|. From the point on the base of the cone closest
to the center to the edge of cone is r. Use Pythagoras to find the
distance from the center of the sphere to the edge of the cone. Note
that this distance is also 5. This should give you a relation between
r and h.

To maximize volume, you want to maximize hr^2.

Rob Johnson <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
take out the trash before replying

  • Re: Trigonometry problem
    ... Francois Grieu wrote: ... the centre of the sphere above the vertex of the cone. ... In a cone of 6o degrees the center of a sphere in contact with the ... be 3/2 the radius of the sphere. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Trigonometry problem
    ... Where is the vertical angle located on a cone? ... Let h = height of cone and r = radius of sphere and H ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: random points on a spherical cone
    ... my solution is to pick a point uniformly within a sphere and reject until it lies within my cone. ... which should be easy enough to restrict to the part that forms the cap of your spherical cone. ... Now you can draw z and \phi from uniform distributions, and compute the point on the sphere from them. ...
    (comp.graphics.algorithms)
  • random points on a spherical cone
    ... I wish to distribute points uniformly on the outer portion of a spherical cone (the surface that coincides with a sphere). ... my solution is to pick a point uniformly within a sphere (by picking a point within a cube and rejecting until it lies within my sphere) and reject until it lies within my cone. ...
    (comp.graphics.algorithms)