Re: Inclusion-Exclusion Principle

Little wrote:
> Could someone explain to me how to use the Inclusion-Exclusion
> Principle to solve this problem.
>
> Question: A carousel has eight seats, each seat is distinct. Eight
> girls are seated on the carousel facing forward ( each girl looks at
> another girl's back). In how many ways can they change seats so that
> each has a different girl in front of her? How can the problem change
> when the seats are identical?
>
> Thanks a lot for the help.

Google for "derangement".

--- Christopher Heckman

  • Inclusion-Exclusion Principle
    ... A carousel has eight seats, ... girls are seated on the carousel facing forward (each girl looks at ... In how many ways can they change seats so that ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Looks like Nitro, SFoG Goliath and SFNE SROS Are having a Baby in Toronto
    ... arrangement, perhaps they should be riding the carousel instead, and ... leave the big rides to those who know how to take a seat on a roller ... Confusing or not I still think the seating arrangement lends ... itself to more empty seats per dispatch than had the seats been in a ...
    (rec.roller-coaster)
  • Re: Train Tickets - Grippers on 5%
    ... The restriction I mentioned isn't about changing seats in the normal course of events, but the way their T&C don't allow you to change seats if the Aircon is broken, or (as I've seen on a GNER train recently) the seat was covered with baby poo. ... A less restrictively worded set of T&C could mention the possibility of using a different seat in some set of "circumstances", which might include "with the permission of the train manager". ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: how to find out if seated together?
    ... but could only change seats on the MAN-AMS leg. ... the Boston leg we're in 29 H and J. I'm assuming these are together ... They are adjacent exit row seats on an Airbus 330-300 on the starboard side. ...
    (rec.travel.air)