Re: Point of Intersection - Straight line and Curve

"ms" <silvertonm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have real data points in which one of them forms a straight line and
the other is a curve(not a simple curve, but more jagged). When I
graph the two, I notice there is a point of intersection between the
straight line and the curve. This point of intersection is not one of
the "data" points that I have plotted. Is there a way to determine the
point of intersection of the line and the curve? Any help would be
appreciated!

What sort of data are we talking about?

Nick

  • Re: extensions of Bezouts theorem to non-integer powers?
    ... of the values of a-g. ... Such functions are smooth on the positive reals and have one critical ... Now it's easy to draw the curve F= Gin the xy plane. ... points of intersection -- yes, one can prove that the slopes of the curve ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Integration to find area between curve and straight line
    ... The first thing I did was sketch the curve and straight line and ... determine all intersection points ...
    (uk.education.maths)
  • Re: how to find the crossing points
    ... If you are looking for the mathematical point of intersection of the straight line and the curve, then you *might* be able to solve the situation symbolically if you have the formula for the curve... ... If you are looking for the mathematical point of intersection of the straight line and the approximation to the curve and you do _not_ have the formula for the curve, then you need to assume an analytical model for how the points of the curve are connected, such as by straight line segments or by cubic splines. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Can I get Excel to determine the line curve formula without gr
    ... Of course "Solver" wouldn't have any difficulty in finding the x- and ... the curve formulas, set them equal to each other, and solve the equation. ... the y-value) of the intersection point can be obtained using ... All that's needed is one cell containing the ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Intersecting curved patched
    ... >the parametrization or an approximitation of these curves be ... the intersection of two cubic Bezier patches (or other parametric ... such as B-spline patches) is a polynomial curve. ...
    (comp.graphics.algorithms)