Re: Greatest common denominator

In article <4cf83e88-3cee-4632-b9c8-515bb54c48f6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<marksmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I am having trouble with part of a cryptography assignment:

"2 What is gcd (n, n + 1) for two consecutive integers n and n +1?
Show all steps of your answer. 5 marks"

Common sense tells me the answer is 1.

I could list 100 examples. But I'm not sure how to show this in a
general form.

Any ideas?

Any common divisor of x and y must also divide all numbers of the form
ax+by with a and b integers.

In addition, the greatest common divisor is equal to the smallest
positive integer that can be expressed in that form (Euclid's
Theorem).

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

  • Re: My letter to USFS re: Arkansas Gathering
    ... common sense and no attention to detail. ... threat of injury to the cat vs. the threat of injury to themselves. ... still, under the law of the United States, illegal as hell. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: AI
    ... Common Sense can be acquired. ... would be fun and common sense told me "don't do it". ... I wanted that feeling that I am God, ... And it wasn't an ordinary hill. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • GENOCIDE is still happening in New Orleans...
    ... This meets the LEGAL definition (aside from common sense). ... Medical supplies are off the webcites wish list: ... Nemesis Peace Centre ...
    (soc.rights.human)
  • Re: A gcd proposition
    ... A non-negative common ... and let d' be a non-negative common divisor divisible ... all common divisors divide the gcd ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Rural Holland itinerary recommendations?
    ... Go with the flow. ... It is a different sort of common ... British have a monopoly on common sense. ... cyclists in NL, I am sure there are more deaths per 100,000 cyclists ...
    (rec.travel.europe)