Re: Greatest common denominator

In article
<4cf83e88-3cee-4632-b9c8-515bb54c48f6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
marksmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I am having trouble with part of a cryptography assignment:

"2 What is gcd (n, n + 1) for two consecutive integers n and n +1?
Show all steps of your answer. 5 marks"

Common sense tells me the answer is 1.

I could list 100 examples. But I'm not sure how to show this in a
general form.

Any ideas?

You've seen some good answers. No one has been rude enough
to point out that it seems you don't know what gcd stands for.
It's greatest common *divisor*, not, as your subject header
would have it, the nonsensical greatest common *denominator*.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (i -> u for email)

  • Re: Greatest common denominator
    ... I am having trouble with part of a cryptography assignment: ... Common sense tells me the answer is 1. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: My letter to USFS re: Arkansas Gathering
    ... common sense and no attention to detail. ... threat of injury to the cat vs. the threat of injury to themselves. ... still, under the law of the United States, illegal as hell. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Greatest common denominator
    ... I am having trouble with part of a cryptography assignment: ... Common sense tells me the answer is 1. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: AI
    ... Common Sense can be acquired. ... would be fun and common sense told me "don't do it". ... I wanted that feeling that I am God, ... And it wasn't an ordinary hill. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • GENOCIDE is still happening in New Orleans...
    ... This meets the LEGAL definition (aside from common sense). ... Medical supplies are off the webcites wish list: ... Nemesis Peace Centre ...
    (soc.rights.human)