Re: Standard Deviation & the 68-95-99.7 rule

In article
<df2a13da-cc2c-4f60-bf93-5be6e9b8ad2e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Maya <maya_souj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Among other things, this sort of information is used in statistical
hypothesis testing, q.v.

IN what way? What would be a simple example of the good of knowing
only the SD without knowing which type of distribution the data set is?

Knowing the SD alone is not likely to be useful, but knowing both the
mean and SD can be.

As explanations of how they are useful tend to be long and involved,
perhaps you should find an elementary statistics text from which to get
a thorough explanation.

  • Re: OT The TSA
    ... Then he quietly shut the door and we were alone. ... approached me soundlessly, from behind, and spoke in a low, reassuring ... hands start at my ankles, gently probing, and moving upward along my ... knowing what he wanted, he brought his hands to my shoulders, slid ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Poorly Bees
    ... >>> He uses it in real life too, so you're not alone in not knowing. ... last Chrimble at the MA you introduced him as AW. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: Miranda?
    ... Post somethin’ poetic now and then as the spirit listeth would’ja ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: wu-ftpd problem with time in the logs
    ... >> if that alone will make the cloud go away. ... Knowing that you are wrong is the zeroth step you need to ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: My math
    ... What happened to the "making money" part? ... And in this place while I stand alone at the pinnacle of human ... I stand alone, and I know, and in knowing, with my place far beyond ... what most people can imagine, I touch infinity, and in knowing that ...
    (sci.math)