Re: the need for relevance

Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

There is one and only one real world. And we _both_ live in
it. Whether you like it or deny it or not. Anything that doesn't
match with the real world is contradictory to it.

Is this the working definition, then?

A contradiction in a theory T is a statement P which does not match
with the real world.

Is this what you mean when you say that ZFC has contradictions? If
so, perhaps you can go on to show me how it is that the claim "There
is no uniform probability distribution on N" is a contradiction. In
what way does that not match the real world? What does "match the
real world" mean?

Many thanks. Illuminating as ever.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
to sit quietly in their rooms." -- Blaise Pascal

  • Re: An uncountable countable set
    ... Han de Bruijn wrote: ... "Unbounded but finite" is a contradiction, ... mainstream "theorem" that the probability of a natural being a multiple ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Mavic
    ... Adding a simple element of causality: "Red skies at night... ... contradiction in terms) is that it accumulates all kinds of ... Of course without a causal model (perhaps a ... people who deny that for which they don't have a theory. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: arithmetic in ZF
    ... it is not simple to deny the infinitary first-order-analogous ... Classically we get there trivially by LEM, ... The classical proof didn't produce Just Any old contradiction; ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: arithmetic in ZF
    ... when you try to deny a universally quantified statement? ... formalism you like, because classically, they are all ... if Axleads you to a contradiction, ... it leads you to a particular ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: 1-1/2+1/3-1/4+1/5-1/6+1/7
    ... used a different definition of S, then there is no contradiction at ... there can't be a function S in ZFC "only consisting of ... Han de Bruijn: ...
    (sci.math)