Re: > A group of order 15 is cyclic

k.hofmann wrote:

To prove: a group G of order 15 is cyclic.

The proof I am studying runs as follows:

Since G contains an element x of order 3 and an element y
of order 5, the map Z/3 x Z/5 --> G defined by (i, j) --> x^i y^j is an
isomorphism, provided xy = yx.

It's enough to show that Z(G) is nontrivial, for then G/Z(G) is cyclic,
hence G is abelian.

If Z(G) = 1, then G must contain 1 conjugacy class of size 5, and 3 of
size 4.

Set z = xyx^{-1} and w = x^{-1} y x.

Assume first z = y^j; then y = y^{j^3} so that j^3 = 1 mod 5 ==>
j = 1 (mod 5) so that z = y ==> xy = yx and we're done.

Otherwise, assume z =/= y^j for any j; then <z> generates a subgroup
distinct.

From this, how do we arrive at a contradiction?

Do we really have 12 elements of order 5, namely z^j, w^j and y^j, as j
runs from 1 to 4? If so, how does this contradict the class equation
(whenever Z(G) is assumed to be trivial)?

I didn't really understand your argument.
What are x and y?
If they are general elements of the group,
why does y = y^{j^3}?

In answer to your last question, a cyclic group of order mn
contains exactly one subgroup of order m,
and this contains all the elements of order m;
so there are certainly not 12 elements of order 5 in your group.

Have you noted that if the group is not cyclic
then all elements have order 1, 3 or 5?
and if x,y are of order 5 then the subgroups they generate
are either the same, or else have only 1 in common.
So the number of elements of order 5 is a multiple of 4.
Similarly the number of elements of order 3 is even.
And the elements in each of your conjugacy classes
must have the same order.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

  • Re: 2 questions on group homomorphisms
    ... subgroup Lof a group K. If each proper subgroup of G is isomorphic ... with each proper subgroup of K and there is a bijection L->L, ... of K corresponding to S under the isomorphism of, ... The subgroup lattice of ^k is EQUAL to the ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Mathematicians are in deep shit for 2 reasons
    ... [begin elsimelsi quote] ... LST proves that systems with uncountable models ... Suber did NOT say "NOTE A CONTRADICTION". ... isomorphism. ...
    (sci.logic)
  • Re: Finite groups isomorphic to finite direct products of subgroups
    ... he just posted saying that the isomorphism ... OP meant internal direct product all the time because he wrote: ... "Suppose G is a finite group, N is normal subgroup and P a subgroup of ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Infinite simple groups and their proper subgroups
    ... I believe that the subgroup of Sym(permutations ... this is a proper subgroup of Alt. ... proper infinite subset S of Omega, ... f induces an isomorphism from Altto Alt, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Problem with subgroups
    ... May I suggest you try to interleave your comments with the replies, ... Similarly if x*y is in H_2 then x is in H_2, contradiction. ... subgroup if both H,N are subgroups of a group G. ... You mean the third (a good reason for interleaving your replies). ...
    (sci.math)