Re: An inequality involving e

[article below posted to the newsgroups listed in the header]

In article <92d718f6-b4ab-4e00-a244-ba6ca43555ff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
TCL <tlim1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Let n be an integer >1. From the graph it is clear that

e^{-x} > (1 - x/n )^n for all x in the interval 1<= x <= n

I have a little hard time trying to prove it. Maybe some of you here
have a clever idea.

Hint: Take nth roots of both sides, then all you need to show is that

e^{-t} > 1 - t for 0 < t <= 1

Rob Johnson <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
take out the trash before replying
to view any ASCII art, display article in a monospaced font

  • Re: compiling an app under Linux, looking for library files and headers
    ... Now I'm trying to compile a source package which uses Tcl/Tk: ... Tcl header... ... Tcl library... ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: data transfer rates windows vs linux
    ... | 1) cvs checkout is needed to get the source: ... as-is, you need at least TCL 8.5, since TCL 8.3.3 does not define ... If I did have a build of 8.3 and the header file, I would expect the missing defines, though. ... Dereferenzierungen bei 'unsigned int' und 'Tcl_Interp *' ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Creating flat files thru Biztalk 2006
    ... I need to convert an XML to a flat file and ftp to a client. ... I have the body outputting fine, but having a hard time understanding ... how to create the header row. ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: WHILE and IF
    ... Parens in Tcl are not special, except for array indexing. ... > if {$line eq $header} continue ... Hmm.. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: An inequality involving e
    ... rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Rob Johnson) wrote: ... TCL wrote: ... I have a little hard time trying to prove it. ... stays above its tangent line at by strict convexity. ...
    (sci.math)