Re: Live molar 'root' poking through gum

axmonti@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Good day,

I've searched and searched on this subject to no avail - I'll try to
keep this short.

A few weeks ago, I woke up with a sore gum and tongue - right beside my
last molar (I've never had wisdom teeth).  The next day, my molar
started to hurt when I bit down on something, and the gum was quite
sensitive.  The following day, I couldn't bite down on anything without
pain, and my lymph nodes were swelling a bit (no gum swelling though).
That night I went to a medical clinic, and the physician gave me
Erythromycin and asked me to see a dentist.  Two days later, the pain
was gone, but I noticed that my second last molar was 'higher' than the
other teeth.  That molar has a filing, but I've never had a root canal
or anything like that.  I also noticed some 'crowding' on my front
lower teeth.

A week later, I saw the dentist.  He took x-rays and poked around and
said that everything appeared to be normal.  He indicated that the
physician probably mis-diagnosed the problem, as the flu was going
around (which explains the swollen nodes), and I probably just bit down
on something hard and 'strained' the ligaments of my molar.  He noted
that there was no gum swelling, no gum boils, no bad taste, and no sign
of root infection, etc.  He placed some cold material on my molars and
indicated that the nerves were indeed alive and well.

A week later, I noticed a 'dent' on my gum (about 3-4 mm below the
gumline) right beside a small bony 'bump' that I've had for years.  A
day later, I was poking around my gums with a cleaning pick, and I was
able to put the pick right inside a small hole in my gum.  I could feel
something hard with the pick, so I picked some more, and out popped
what I can only describe as a small piece of 'sea coral'!  If I pick
inside the hole now, I can still feel something hard, but it seems more
firmly attached (I think it's the bony bump).  I don't know if it's far
enough down the gumline to be a tooth root, but it certainly is bone or
tooth-like.  Throughout all of this, I've felt no additional pain, but
my nodes are still a bit sore (though less than before).  My front
teeth are still 'crowded', though it seems no worse than before.

So, my question to the dental community is: What is happening to my
tooth and gum?  I'm not sure if I trust the dentist I saw, but I figure
I'll probably have to see someone at some point.  Could an original
infection have caused the tooth to raise slightly, breaking off a piece
of rough tooth material from the side of my tooth?  Could I really have
an infection that is rotting the roots and breaking off chunks that
migrate to the surface?  Why would my x-ray look so normal, and why
wouldn't my gums be swollen or sore at all.  Could I have bitten
something hard that caused a piece of broken root to migrate through
the gumline?  The dentist who I saw indicated that I should come back
if I start experiencing pain again, and that if it was an infection,
he'd expect me back in about a month.  Should I just wait to see if the
broken piece of tooth was causing all of this?

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Could be foreign body, or tartar, or...almost anything.
This sounds like something that should be immediately obvious to a competent dentist, but only speculation if I or another guess.
BTW, don't go picking around your gums with a "pick".

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

  • Re: Speaking of gum boils...
    ... The gum boil may be caused by an abscess in the tooth (due to decay, ... any local dentists doing housecalls. ... cow I had calculus build up on the back side of the bottom teeth!. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Gap between gum and bottom of tooth? Bad?
    ... A normal tooth will have such a slight indentation at the CEJ, ... If you can feel it with a fingernail, ... > is below the gum line and covers the root. ... >> I can poke my fingernail under my bottom front teeth. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Sigh. Confused more than ever about orthodontics.
    ... They look more and more crowded as more adult teeth come in. ... The 9yo had to have one of the baby molars pulled and the dentist put a spacer in that spot to keep the teeth in line. ... The spacer will come out when the molar under it pops through - which should be any time now. ... If it doesn't come up now they will have to either cut an area of the gum away and hope it comes up or the orthodontist will possibly attach something to it under the gum line to guide it out. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: Sugars
    ... >>The only animals on planet earth that ever have tooth decay problems are ... The sugar's not harmful to the teeth. ... Although dogs do not generally have cavities in their teeth, ... leave debris in gum pockets at the base of the teeth. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Alternative to Root Canal?
    ... [Please excuse and ignore if this shows up twice. ... Six months ago I had gum surgery to reduce pockets around my teeth due to ... That, of course, exposed more of the teeth. ... around one particular tooth. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)