Wisdom tooth extraction at 50, longer recovery?

Introduction: I am one of those people who had bad experiences with
the dentist when I was younger. At age 17, while drilling my one and
only cavity (did I really even have one I wonder? You usually have a
lot or none, right?) the dentist refused to use novocaine. When I
grunted in pain and kicked hard enough to knock some of his tools on
the floor he just said, "What's wrong, can't you take it?"

A year later I had trouble opening my jaw, a visit to another dentist
came up with a statement that I had 6 rotten teeth that all had
cavities. A second opinion, said, "no, you have an infected gum where
your left lower wisdom tooth is comming out." A course of antibiotics
and all was fine--for a while.

I never did have my wisdom teeth removed, having heard horror stories
from others. I also never went back to the dentist. Over the course
of the next 30 years I can remember about 5 times where I had swellings
of the gum near this same tooth; the latest was last Wednsday.

Thursday morning I had had enough. I called the dentist that my dental
plan had signed me up for; they said they could take me immediately.

I went in, they took an X-ray, the dentist came in and said I had a gum
infection from a partially erupted wisdom tooth. It was not impacted
and he recommended that it come out. I could either do it "now" or
schedule for later. Something in me caused me to say "now." (I have
to add that this dentist did not give me a hard time for staying away
from dental care for so long.)

It took him over an hour to get the tooth out; he even decided to cut
it in half about 30 minutes into the procedure. Still, I think he did
an excellent job and plan to go back for routine dental care soon. He
said that I did "good". (What could I do? Once he shot the novocaine
in and started prying at the tooth I figured that there was no escape
until the tooth was out so I just relaxed and let him work.)

Anyway, 36 hours later I still have facial swelling and pain. I was
prescribed percocet but have had to resort to ibuprofen in between the
6 hour percocet doses.

As this is a holiday weekend, I can't reach him again till tuesday.
Will this pain go away?

I am using salt water rinses and am having no bleeding (slight taste of
blood now and then but can't see any in the salt water rinses.) Am
taking my clindamycin every 6 hours too.

I am still using cold packs on my face but one internet site suggested
warm after the first 24 hours.

  • Re: Wisdom tooth extraction at 50, longer recovery?
    ... of the gum near this same tooth; ... infection from a partially erupted wisdom tooth. ... an excellent job and plan to go back for routine dental care soon. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Wisdom tooth extraction at 50, longer recovery?
    ... Pain often improves after the third day. ... of the gum near this same tooth; ... infection from a partially erupted wisdom tooth. ... an excellent job and plan to go back for routine dental care soon. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Partial eruption question
    ... >> How long does it normally take for a wisdom tooth to fully expose itself ... My gum is swollen behind in the rough shape of the tooth so ... >measure the space where the wisdom tooth is trying to erupt. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Partial eruption question
    ... > How long does it normally take for a wisdom tooth to fully expose itself ... My gum is swollen behind in the rough shape of the tooth so ... measure the space where the wisdom tooth is trying to erupt. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Partial eruption question
    ... How long does it normally take for a wisdom tooth to fully expose itself ... My gum is swollen behind in the rough shape of the tooth so I'm ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)