Re: Can I pull off a broken tooth myself?

A Digging Ape wrote:
I have an upper tooth which has broken in 3 stages . . 2 sections broke off over the past couple of weeks and now the final section broke off this morning. The problem is that this last broken section of the tooth is hanging on to the gum somehow, I guess it has broken off below the gum line. The tooth itself doesn't hurt but the broken chunk is wobbling back and forth and driving me NUTS and the gum area feels a bit inflammed. I can barely close my mouth and can't eat solid food, and I'm not sure I can do another day of just soup and jello. Problem is I'm a mining engineer working at an isolated site. I have made an appointment with my dentist back home to have this tooth taken care on my next rotation out, but that's not for another 12 days and I'm sure not going to request an emergency medivac for this. So I'm really tempted to get a pair of needle nose pliers and yank this hanging tooth section off so I can at least eat again. So what will happen, will I bleed to death? Yah, I know I'm probably making all the dentists cringe, but please try to be kind as I don't have the "normal" options available up here.

I knew a dentist who tried to extract his own tooth (not kidding--he had emotional problems, but he DID graduate dental school). Even with access to the right tools, he was unable to do this, and I had a hell of a job getting out the root. Unless you're very lucky, you will cause a lot of suffering for nothing.
If at all possible, and if anyone flies in and out of where you are, better to get on antibiotic and pain meds instead. If you can't, I wouldn't refuse the medivac if I were you.

Good luck,
Steve

  • Re: Speaking of gum boils...
    ... The gum boil may be caused by an abscess in the tooth (due to decay, ... any local dentists doing housecalls. ... cow I had calculus build up on the back side of the bottom teeth!. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: jerry e bouquot the wesley shankland of texas
    ... All dentists facing punishment by the dental board have an opportunity ... Surprisingly it's composed of little tiny tubules, ... Now what happens is when you get a cavity in a tooth and the ... a deep cavity and it exposes the nerve of the tooth, those bacteria get into ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Root Canal Retreatment OR Extraction ???
    ... Why are most dentists still using mercury? ... What is the worst treatment done by dentists? ... canal-treated tooth always negatively affects your immune system. ... A root canals is one of the worst things you can allow a dentist to do to you. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Dental malpractice (UK) - Some questions - mostly legal
    ... rehearsed her response and has a solicitor on retainer to advise her on ... I got to look at the extracted tooth in person. ... > I got rid of my amalgam but I was left with teeth that despite major work ... > on dentists is very interesting. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Crater Tooth Needs to be Pulled - How?
    ... no further comments by the dentists. ... then removing the brick is like cutting the gum, and removing the tooth. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)