Re: How long til tooth dies

It does sound like irreversible pulpitis, in wch case you will need
root canal treatment. You should ask your dentist for an evaluation
and a diagnosis.

IF it is irreversible pulpitis you will need RCT. Your dentist may
offer to perform an emergency pulpectomy (removal of the nerve and
initial debridement of the root canal spaces), and possibly pack the
space with CaOH2 (what I usually do if I'm not going to finish it
right away), and temporize the crown. This will remove the pulp, get
you comfortable, and hopefully stabilize the tooth until the root
canal and the restoration can be completed. There may be some other
variables, and complications cannot be entirely ruled out, but this
usually works. How long? If done successfully, at least 6 months.
Just be careful chewing on the tooth until the work is finished to
avoid fracture of the crown.

If you do nothing, and the nerve dies and is not cleaned out you risk
an abscess. How long till the nerve dies? No one can say. Usually
the pulp dies within a few weeks after a contaminated pulp exposure,
but it can linger on for years, especially since yours is a
multi-rooted tooth. And when it does die you risk abscess, with all
the possible sequelae.

Jim