Re: Safe to go bare after temp crown failure?

On Feb 19, 7:48 am, indig...@xxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:25:12 -0800 (PST), tenthmed <tenth...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:24 pm, indig...@xxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:10:19 -0600, Dartos <tuthjoc...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
'Going bare' is not a great idea, but not from a lack of strength.

Then why is it not a good idea? Infection, etc? Just curious....

Get a pre-fab stainless steel crown if you can't afford the good
one right now.

JMO,

Thanks for the reply. Is there a place where I can go to buy such a crown, or do
I ask the dentist to do it? I hope that's not a silly question, but when you say
"pre-fab" it sounds like you mean they are already made, so can you actually buy
them in a store? Or do you mean they are already made but in different sizes so
that the dentist would need to size one to my particular fit?

Can you give me a ballpark cost of one of these?  Or the appropriate code? I can
then look for it on my co-pay schedule.

Thanks again for the help.

ADA Code D2931 If it is covered by your plan, beware that your plan
may deny benefits for 5 years for ANY OTHER crown on the tooth i.e. a
gold or porcelain final crown.

Thanks to both of you. That would cost me $131, which would be tough but better
than the $700 or so the regular crown would cost me. It sucks to be me, since
once you add each procedure I get done to that tooth, I'll surely end up
spending more in the long run. Already spent $275 for the temp, now $131, etc,
etc, etc.

Would that SS crown have a chance of lasting five years?  Once again, just so I
understand, what is the reason I have to cover it? Is it as the hygienist said -
that it is no longer strong enough? What could happen? Loss of the tooth?

Thanks again.

If you go "bare", the spacing between the prepared tooth and the
adjacent tooth will close until the prepared tooth touches the
adjacent tooth. Also, the upper tooth will drop downward along with
the prepared tooth moving upward, with an overall resulting in a
problem that cannot be fixed without having orthodontic tooth movement
to regain the lost space that is necessary to fabricate a crown. The
stainless steel crown will fit like socks on a rooster, but it can buy
you some time. That said, over time (? 2 - 5 yrs?) the ill-fitting
stainless steel crown will allow for bacteria to hide between the
crown and the tooth resulting in tooth decay, gum disease, or both.
Another 2 edged sword if you will. The best treatment is to get a well
fitting/adapted final crown. You should google "stainless steel
crowns".

  • Re: Crowned tooth needs root canal?
    ... >Subject: Re: Crowned tooth needs root canal? ... and if a crown does not prevent its spread the ... >cracked molar where a dentist used a tooth sleuth to diagnose it. ... >thought only teeth with root canals were subject to root fracture and ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • PING: NOYB Was: toothache after deep filling
    ... >the tooth never needed endo in the first place. ... >> Crown a tooth like this at your own jeopardy. ... and then reeval the pulpal health before final cementation. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Anyone See the Body World exhibit?
    ... Three months ago my dentist told me that I had to have a crown fitted; ... for two months I had a severe tooth pain ... Should he have taken an X-Ray before suggesting fitting the crown? ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: Is CEREC inferior to gold crowns?
    ... Is a CEREC crown suitable for use on cracked teeth? ... And can a CEREC crown be drilled and filled? ... > If you are a heavy clencher, you put extreme stress on each tooth. ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)
  • Re: was this the most conservative Cerec restoration?
    ... two cusps, extending about 2/3 of the way down. ... My dentist suggested a crown, but also said he could do a "cheapie" with amalgam. ... After checking in this newsgroup I decided that a gold onlay would be best, covering the cracked side as well as the entire top of the tooth. ... I had read on this newsgroup how some dentists prefer 'full cusp ...
    (sci.med.dentistry)