Smoking Index

Smoking index is generally defined as the number of cigarette-years
(or pack-years) smoked. This ignores the parameters such as age at
initiation, time elapsed since cessation in case of ex-smokers,
passive smoking and other forms of smoking such as cigars and pipes.
The burden of smoking in a person depends on all these and much more.
While trying to locate a comprehensive index, the only one I could
find is the one given by Indrayan on pages 228-230 of his book Medical
Biostatistics, Second Edition, (Chapman & Hall/CRCPress). He
defines:
Smoking index, S = (3 - a/15)[1/2 sq.root(sum of psubk*nsubk*xsubk) -
y]
(S=0 for S<0),
where a= age at initiation in years; a=30 for a>30;
psubk=adjustment for the type of smoking for xsubk years; (Suggested
values are psubk= 1 for regular cigarette, psubk = 0.67 for filter
cigarette, psubk= 0.15 for passive smoking, psubk= 5.0 for cigar and
psubk= 2.5 for pipe)
nsubk= number of cigarettes (or others) smoked per day;
xsubk=number of years of specified smoking;
y=number of years elapsed since quitting.
Indrayan’s smoking index is more comprehensive than any other I could
locate but is based on several assumptions and lack validation.
Does anyone know or can provide a reference for more comprehensive
index of smoking which is validated for a variety of setups?

Nezhat Shakeri

  • 41 TIPS FOR NEW B
    ... 41 TIPS FOR GAINING FREEDOM FROM NICOTINE ... 2.Square off with your smoking habit. ... 10.Don't say "I'll take my chances" and continue to smoke. ... They will tell us that we need a cigarette for just about any ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • new product--Electronic Cigarettes
    ... The Revolutionary Smoking or Quit Smoking,The Electronic Cigarette, is ... Unlike nicotine gum or the nicotine patch, ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Tips for newbee
    ... DISTRACT yourself from the craving ... DELAY taking that cigarette (the urge will pass within five ... occasional strong memories of pleasures associated with smoking. ... of life and, very possibly, a longer life. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: My meter is in positive ground.
    ... "I 'will stop smoking" in front of it. ... precious few people smoke because they want to. ... Twenty minutes after your last cigarette, ... It's best to stay away from smokers; ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • *Latest September 2006 News & Bloggings from Ciggyfree
    ... Tobacco Industry Closing in on $50 Million to Protect Cigarette Sales and Profits in California ... The stakes in the battle to keep kids smoking got higher over the weekend as R.J. Reynolds posted an additional $10 million contribution ... U.S. to map genes of brain, ovarian and lung cancer ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)