Switching to vegetarian keeps weight down

Switching to vegetarian keeps weight down: study
(Reuters)

LONDON - If you want to keep the weight down, switch to a meat-free diet,
scientists said on Tuesday.

Researchers, who studied the eating habits of 22,000 people over five years,
including meat eaters and vegetarians, found they all put on a few kilos but
meat eaters who changed to a vegetarian or vegan diet gained the least.

"Contrary to current popular views that a diet low in carbohydrates and high
in protein keeps weight down, we found that the lowest weight gain came in
people with high intake of carbohydrates and low intake of protein," said
Professor Tim Key.

The research compared weight gain among meat eaters, fish eaters,
vegetarians and vegans -- who eat no animal products -- and is published in
the International Journal of Obesity.

It showed that on average people gained 2 kilos (4.4 lb) over five years.
None of the volunteers was overweight.

"The weight gain was less in the vegans than in the meat-eaters and
somewhere in between in the other groups," said Key, of Britain's Cancer
Research UK charity and the University of Oxford, who conducted the study.

"The lowest weight gain was in people who changed their diet to eat fewer
animal products," he told Reuters.

Key and his colleagues said exercise was another important factor in
controlling weight.

"The data also showed that people who became more physically active during
the five-year period gained less weight than people who did very little
exercise," Key said.

The findings are from the British arm of EPIC (European Prospective
Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), which is comparing the diets of
500,000 people in 10 countries to discover how diet is linked to cancer.

The EPIC study has already revealed that diabetics have three times the
normal risk of developing colorectal cancer, which kills more than 490,000
people worldwide each year.

It also showed that diet is second only to tobacco, as a leading cause of
cancer, and, along with alcohol, is responsible for nearly a third of cancer
cases in developed countries.

  • Re: HBA1c was 4.4
    ... That's just the kind of diet I am on. ... An obese patient with type 2 diabetes whose diet was changed from the ... glycemic control and elimination of the patient's obesity. ... Insulin treatment in type 2 diabetes patients usually leads to weight ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • diet soda (aspartame) goes with more obesity, Sharon P Fowler, University of Texas Health Science Ce
    ... Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight Wednesday, June 15, 2005 ... People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. ... or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says. ...
    (sci.med.nutrition)
  • Re: FATSO (was Re: when will Orion produce an ED100 apo?)
    ... my former doctor was totally against Atkins and I mean ... > to my weight and build, and he has made a note of my sensitivity on the ... Exercise alone just doesn't ... > inherently wrong with the diet. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: My longest winded post to date - SUBJECT: OBESITY VS DM
    ... barriers in the way of effective weight loss and maintenance. ... If I can have some fun with diet doctors, let's just say I find it ... > According to a couple of posters here, diabetes causes obesity. ... Take one T2 person who is obese, ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Diets Dont Work!
    ... If you are more than five pounds over your normal weight, ... no one should be or needs to be fat. ... and all that money, time, effort, diet books, diet programs, gimmicks, ... nutritious food, avoiding toxins and regular physical activity. ...
    (sci.med.nutrition)