Re: Dietary Guildlines

x-no-archive: yes

Jim Chinnis wrote:
Susan <nevermind@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in part:

x-no-archive: yes

Ron Peterson wrote:

Brent wrote:

I'm attempting to find heart healthy and diabetic friendly guildlines
in the form of recommended daily nutritional values (e.g. fat,
saturated far, fibre etc.). The guildlines must be from an
authoratative source.

Try http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
(It's not very detailed, but it is a start.)

It's total crap. For one thing, it confuses carbohydrates as synonymous with glucose.

Susan

Hmmm. Let's see what else the great Mayo Clinic says...

"Saturated fat is the main dietary culprit in raising your blood cholesterol
and increasing your risk of coronary artery disease."

Not calories...not carbs...not trans-fat. There ya have it: Saturated fat =
heart disease.

"...fat is a very concentrated energy source, providing twice as many
calories per gram as carbohydrates and protein."

I have trouble understanding the significance of that. Let's invert it:
*...fat is very light, providing half as many grams per calorie as
carbohydrates and protein.* Nope, I still don't get it. Are grams good for
you? Do we need really heavy foods? Does the weight of food we consume
really matter that much?

"Recommendation: Limit fat to 20 percent to 35 percent of your daily
calories." Ah...that way you get more grams of food each day. But...is there
a study that shows that eating mostly light foods (low grams per calorie) is
healthy?

Good stuff. ;-)

It's even stoopider than that; what I didn't bother taking issue with before is the "at least 130 grams of carbs per day" recommendation. This is based upon absolute misunderstanding of human biochemistry.

They are going with the extreme high figure for brain glucose requirements daily (100-130 grams, variably). Then they're saying you need *at least* 130 grams of dietary carbohydate to meet it. This despite the fact that 58% of dietary protein converts to glucose; there is no essential carbohydrate in human nutrition.

Further, the brain will preferentially run on ketones when they're available, bringing down the glucose requirement to 40-60 grams per day within a few weeks. Brains run *better* on ketones, hence their use in therapeutics, like epilepsy.

Susan
.