Re: Kwasniewski - a kook or the next Nobel price winner?

Taka wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:06 am, ironjustice <teamtan...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:08 am, ironjustice <teamtan...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
carbohydrate rich five-bean soup <<

http://www.carbs-information.com/carb-in-legumes/carbs-chick-peas.htm

Chick Peas and Diet
Legumes (like Chick Peas), have a high carb count but a much lower
"net carb" or "digestible carb" content.
They contain several vitamins and minerals.
They are a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health
benefits.
For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and
disease.
According to at least one clinical diet study, an eating-plan rich in
beans can help patients with either type 2 or type 1 diabetes to
reduce their daily insulin intake.
Healthy low carb diets typically recommend beans in later phases of
the diet plan.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKINGhttp://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

On Mar 22, 7:55 am, Taka <taka0...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:carbohydrate-
induced lipogenesis <<
One might wonder now .. HOW .. do .. plants kill ya .. there ..
Taka ..
How doooo .. plants kill ya .. ?
Figure that one .. out .. you'll make a million ..
Here .. run with it ..
The iron and carbs .. **react** .. with each other ..
Sooo .. what carbs did these guys USE .. ?
Beans .. ?
I have a hard time believing eating a carbohydrate rich five-bean soup
is going to cause me to have an 'inflammatory reaction' .. but hey ..
Who loves ya.
Tom
Jesus Was A Vegetarian!http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh
Man Is A Herbivore!http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3
DEAD PEOPLE WALKINGhttp://tinyurl.com/zk9fk
It seems that the low carb is a winner at least in the modern world
full of refined carbs and PUFAs:
SOURCE:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071203091236.htm
QUOTE: The current work concludes that "lowering total and saturated
fat only had a small effect on circulating inflammatory markers
whereas reducing carbohydrate led to considerably greater reductions
in a number of pro-inflammatory cytokines, chemokines, and adhesion
molecules. These data implicate dietary carbohydrate rather than fat
as a more significant nutritional factor contributing to inflammatory
processes." UNQUOTE.
Taka- Hide quoted text -

The problem with beans is that they can give you CHD - it's all in the
latest Cordain newsletters:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/back_issues.shtml

The problem is called *** LECTINS ***

For most of our evolution we did not have fire - can you eat beans and
grains in raw? The answer is NO. Can you eat meat in raw? The
answer is YES. Can you eat fruits in raw? Of course YES. The best
human diet is eating meat in the winter and fruits in the summer and
leave the other vegetables to herbivores and birds who have developed
special digestive organs/symbionts to deal with them!

A few points to consider:

First, look up lectins online. They're not just essential plant proteins, they're essential to human metabolism, too, and there are thousands of them. (Cordain's identification of ricin as the first one to be identified is a red herring, as is the whole discussion of peanuts, though even they can be, and are, eaten raw.)

Second, note that even Cordain says, "Most dietary lectins are benign and non-toxic to humans...."

Third, "most of our evolution" was prehistoric. Who knows "we did not have fire"? Ovens have been found among the oldest known human habitations.

Fourth, of course you can eat beans and grains raw. Peas are among the oldest foods in agriculture; you can eat them raw. Before they were cultivated, they must have had ancestors which were eaten by people. The Roman army carried pouches of raw wheat with them, which they ate raw.

Fifth, note that Cordain is concerned with cardiovascular disease, but why suspect that prehistoric man had any problem with cardiovascular disease?

Sixth, note that lectins bind to carbohydrates, which suggests a simple way to keep them from causing trouble: eating them with things which bind them. I haven't looked into it, but the most obvious candidate for binding legume lectins is grain: the time-honored, world-wide, protein-perfect combination.

Seventh, with or without fire, our ancient predecessors surely had water and stones. Many foods in ancient, primitive cultures are prepared by grinding and washing away toxic substances.

Eighth, why suggest that only *birds* have symbionts to protect them? So do we. Nine tenths of our cells are non-human, and of astounding, barely investigated, variety. They live in our digestive tracts. Not only do they fight off germs and provide us with vitamins, but they are known to protect us from toxins. Prehistoric people may very well have had varieties which protected them from any conceivable lectins.

Ninth, Cordain seems to be inexplicably disturbed by salt, but all kinds of creatures, far more primitive than prehistoric humans, seek it out -- and not only salt, but varieties of mud. They bind many toxic substances in food, and life would be impossible for many creatures without them.

Tenth, all of Cordain's speculation about "paleo" diet is just that: speculation. If no legumes have been found so far among the stomach contents of our paleolithic (or paleo-anything) ancestors, that proves nothing more than a present lack of evidence. There was a time when our ancestors lived in trees and ate mostly fruit -- and perhaps, like monkeys, had to seek out certain leaves to cope with stomachaches. There was a time when they lived in the sea and ate mostly fish. There were times when they lived in caves, stone huts, or leather yurts and ate grains and legumes. All we can say for sure was that there was never a time when they went extinct! ;-)

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c