Re: Foam in the urine: is it really proteins??

In article <1151441881.771849.24320@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Robert1" <Goldentouchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is also some confusion as to the term of foam when not really
meaning foam. A foamy urine or a stormy urine or a smokey urine are
appearence terms that are not defined specificially. Smokey urine
appears like there's smoke. In the case of nephrotic syndrome mentioned
above with foamy urine and edema, a lipiduria exists and it's not
strickly just foam. I can show you a urine nephrotic urine after
letting it sit for hours and thus without foam and it will still look
"foamy". That's one reason why I wanted a reference on how that term
was being applied. Some times they actually mean foam and sometimes
they mean foamy appearing urine or stormy urine which doesn't mean
there is a storm over the urine.

Another possibility: sometimes people think "foam" means like the head
of a beer (well, maybe not that 'sudsy') but my personal observation has
been that that tends to happen during times of storm water run off or
snow melt, when local water treatment facilities add additional
colorants and detergents to the water supply (my local water district
sends out a helpful circular about "why does my water smell/taste
different?" which explains the change in level of additives, so that
part is not conjecture). These additives cause 'sudsiness' when just
about any liquid is poured into a bowl of water containing them.

Also anecdotally, but I am heavily nephrotic (10+grams/day), and while I
would use the non-professional terms "cloudy" "opaque" and
"greasy-looking" to decsribe what I micturate, "foamy" is not what would
naturally come to mind.

--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

  • Re: Foam in the urine: is it really proteins??
    ... the foam I describe (microscopic bubbles) comes if my urine hits a side ... probably European WCs have less water inside them than American ones, ... In this way the foam forms where the urine ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Foam in the urine: is it really proteins??
    ... Foam is not reported out in a urinalysis. ... "Foamy urine and swelling are two signs of proteinuria" ... and if it is yellow then bilirubin is present. ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Foam in the Urine
    ... state of hydration where somebody drinking more water or less water can ... alter concentration and thus foam. ... with age but presumably age is a marker for some reduction in ... "The urine of females, when shaken, usually develops a circular foam on ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Foam in the urine: is it really proteins??
    ... Foam in the urine: is it really proteins?? ... People that have kidney problems ... that you feel better next week and start making more posts. ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Foam in the urine: is it really proteins??
    ... Jason Johnson wrote: ... other reasons for foam in the urine. ... People that have kidney problems ... whether they are men or women produce foam in the urine. ...
    (sci.med)