Nutritional Supplementation: Back to the Basics

Nutritional Supplementation: Back to the Basics

After many years reviewing catalogs from the best companies, I put
together what I consider a reasonable basic program of nutritional
supplementation for digestive system health. Of course, we always
start with a good quality multivitamin containing chelated minerals.
Beyond that, additional Vitamin C is very important. For example, I
take about 3 grams of buffered Vitamin C per day. Being water soluble,
Vitamin C is extremely safe even at much higher doses. The buffering
form of Vitamin C tastes better and also helps to alkalinize the body,
a benefit for women concerned about preventing osteoporosis.

In addition, the basic program includes digestive enzymes, probiotics,
omega 3 fish oil and high fiber. Because of the aging process, many of
us produce both lower levels of digestive enzymes and lower levels of
gastric acid, and have trouble with indigestion leading to the
inability to absorb key minerals and nutrients. By adding one or two
capsules of digestive enzymes to your meal, this problem is largely
eliminated. Many of us have been on courses of antibiotics which
disrupt the normal colonic microbial flora and kill off the "friendly
bacteria". Good microbial flora is needed for normal colon function
and health. Adding the beneficial "friendly bacteria" in the form
of a probiotic capsule will restore this back to normal. Omega 3 fish
oils should be selected carefully because of possible mercury
contamination in fish. So look for a molecular distilled
pharmaceutical grade product. Omega Oils from fish are
anti-inflammatory, and beneficial for the heart. Most high fibers come
in powders or capsules and contain ground up flax or oat fiber.
Fiber's benefit is that it lowers cholesterol and helps detoxify the
liver. Normally, a reabsorption pathway from the bowel back to the
liver causes retention of many of the waste products we would prefer to
eliminate. The high fiber disrupts this cycle and allows more complete
elimination of all this bad stuff. The net result is we feel better
and enjoy better health. A few brief dietary recommendations are also
part of this plan: Avoid trans-fats in margarine and vegetable oils.
Avoid aspartame (in diet sodas) and try to reduce sugar intake to
prevent insulin resistance and type two diabetes. Also one note of
caution regarding Vitamin E which can have a blood thinning effect.
Make sure you mention your Vitamin E consumption to your doctor before
any surgical procedure as this vitamin may increase bleeding tendency
during surgery. Jeff dach drdach

Jeffrey Dach, M.D. is board certified in Interventional Radiology and
by the American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine. His medical practice
includes Anti-Aging Solutions with Bio-identical Hormones for men and
women. The office is located at 4700 Sheridan Suite T, Hollywood.
Office telephone: 954-983-1443. Call for information on next free
seminar. Web site: www.drdach.com.

.