Re: What is the normal body temperature: 36.6 °C or 37 °C ?

Visa Inquirer wrote:
Let's say we only talk about the resting temperature.

I clearly remember from the time I grew up in the Former Soviet Union
that 36.6 °C was considered to be the normal underarm temperature. And
37 °C underarm temperature was considered to be a threshold for a
disease (like flu/cold/inflammation). Measurement was quit precise,
with an error of ± 0.1 °C, and 36.9 °C won't get you off from school
but 37 °C would. This "standard" was also very consistent with
observations. When I was healthy temperature was always below 37 °C.
When I got a flu -- almost for sure 37 °C or higher.

Now in US 37 °C is normally cited as a "normal" temperature.

37°C is considered the normal oral (mouth) temperature.

The normal axillary tempt is around 36.5 or 36.6°C.

So is this because they talk about intraoral or intraanal temperature?
Or is this a result of some kind of rounding or conversion error? Or
are there many ways to convert °C to F?

Actually, the original study that determined the normal oral temperature found it be about 36.8°C. This got rounded to 37°C, and converted to 98.6°F and converted back to 37°C. Go figure.

Anyway, the normal temperature isn't a number, but a range from about 36°C to 37°C. Temperature varies throughout the day. In the US, there are different cut-offs for when one has a fever, usually 100°F to 101°F or 38°C or 39°C (the numbers don't convert exactly).

One can have a high temperature like 38°C or even 39°C and not be sick, while one can be very sick without a high temperature.

The rectal temperature is usually about 0.5°C higher than and the underarm temper about 0.5°C lower than the intraoral temperature.

Jeff

  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?What_is_the_normal_body_temperature:_36.6_=B0C_or_37_?= =?ISO-8859-1?
    ... Let's say we only talk about the resting temperature. ... I clearly remember from the time I grew up in the Former Soviet Union ... that 36.6 °C was considered to be the normal underarm temperature. ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: Not only priests...
    ... Farenheit scale is much more human oriented. ... Centigrade - somewhat more completely that I would have expected. ... Now, when I cite a Fahrenheit temperature, they ask "What?".... ... Temperature conversion from centigrade to Fahrenheit. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Conversion code not working properly
    ... The conversion seems to be working fine, even by using "float" for the ... I don't think the conversion is the problem. ... >Terry Reedy answered a short while ago to why a Celsius range is by ... >Fahrenheid temperature in the other range and the extreme values are ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Units bloopers.
    ... conversion, a measurement that one could back-calculate to have ... converted measurement to three or four significant digits. ... the study that established average human body temperature as ... 37C was performed in Germany, not the US, and published in 1871. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: the puzzle of global warming -- two books
    ... Have your checked your English language based logic recently? ... this schoolboy howler: ... How much is that when you push the conversion button on you calculator? ... Here clearly the author is talking about changes in temperature. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)