Re: Palentir

From: West Coast Engineering (westcoastengineering_at_westcoastengineering.com)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:04:25 GMT

The real trick is to read and enjoy the books for what they are and
then the movies for what they are.

Hardly any movie contains all the book, except maybe for the seven
hour War and Peace made in Russia in the late 60's/early 70's and they
had to have time for at least 4 potty breaks. :-)

I read the books four times in the 70s and recently watched the
movies. I had a good time. I was entertained. Then again, I am about
as easy to entertain as my German Shepard. A toy and some food just
about does me in every time.

Jim Klein

Mark Fergerson <nunya@biz.ness> wrote:

>Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>> West Coast Engineering wrote:

>>> Thanks for the correction
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> "Palantir" is the correct spelling--from someone who has read the books
>> many times but wouldn't see the movies on a bet.
>
> Actually, they weren't at all bad for movie adaptations
>of books (compared to say, the _Dune_ abominations). Yes,
>there was a LOT left out, and a tad too much sappiness
>inserted at awkward moments, but they definitely earned the
>SPFX awards for Gollum. He was dead on.
>
> Mark L. Fergerson

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DH Movie Rumor
    ... The "Carry On" movies - a long series, ... and there are dozens of books. ... But I think it's definitely feasible, and given just how successful the films and books have been, I doubt they'll be able to leave the Potterverse alone for too long after the films are completed. ... If they end up doing other Harry Potter things - it will only move the date even further into the future. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Fate of SF as World Slides Down Back Side of Hubberts Curve?
    ... -- Humanity will never go to the stars (probably not even one human ... The top six movies of last year were SF. ... However, w.r.t. to books rather than movies, it seems that some ... based solely on the general decline in reading of books for pleasure in any ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Split Revealed
    ... It was to preserve the integrity of the books like ... so I'm not assuming that the movies ... could argue that /previous/ HP films have suffered for financial ... filming a scene where the characters search for a horcrux in the Room ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: ot: Christmas movies
    ... That's up there in my house too, ... and now my kids love it. ... usually gravitate towards humor when I'm picking out books. ... better than the movies IMO. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.nascar)
  • Re: DH Movie Rumor
    ... The "Carry On" movies - a long series, ... and there are dozens of books. ... But I think it's definitely feasible, and given just how successful the films and books have been, I doubt they'll be able to leave the Potterverse alone for too long after the films are completed. ... up doing other Harry Potter things - it will only move the date even further into the future. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)