Re: Basic newbie question on cmos sensor and optics

<SNIP>

>Have you ever noticed how those little cheap point-and-shoot digital
>cameras with lots and lots of megapixels, take really crappy pictures
>in dim light situations? It's because what they really need is a
>bigger diameter lens to collect enough light to fill all of those
>pixels.
>==if by crappy you mean noisy, I agree. Resolution wise, the main
>reason is they do not have good lenses, so at low light the aperture is
>wide open and aberratons kill the image quality. When there is a lot
>of light, the aperture is small, and aberratons are negligible. At
>about F/64, you can do with no lens at all - people did so in the early
>days of photography
Referring to the above, my neighbor has a camera made about 1935. It
uses, I think, 100 size film. Anyway, the film is quite large, about
2"x3". It has only a simple DCX lens in it for taking pictures and
another simple DCX that projects an image on a small ground glass
screen for the view finder. Both lenses were dirty so I removed and
cleaned them. I bought some film and took some pictures with it in
good sunlight. I was amazed at how good the pictures came out. And I
remember now that the aperture when the shutter was opened was very
small.
ERS

  • Re: Ideas for Muddypaws!
    ... I used to go to lots of horse shows & take pictures ... of people having fun with their horses. ... With digital cameras and big flash memory cards it'll be a lot cheaper ... Equivalent film speed - Action shots reveal how fast ...
    (uk.rec.equestrian)
  • Re: British Isles Cruise
    ... carryover from years of using film before the digital cameras I use ... I started out with film but I took lots of film photos too. ... My dad took pictures, my mom took pictures, my sister took pictures. ... had at least 5000 slides. ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Why I Went Back to Film Photography
    ... pictures with no purpose. ... Film is no different, with the amateur ... brigade going all ga-ga over the latest cameras, flash units, filters ... I'll differ slightly with you about Photoshop. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Digital SLR maual focus screens
    ... SLR. ... and the cameras don't seem to get the focus right unless ... manual 35mm film camera owner would love? ... to take some pictures of a raccoon that was on a bird feeder just outside my ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: AGFA
    ... except, again, the objectivity you are asking for is not applicable. ... In 3-5 years (in some cameras much sooner) the entry level price for 10MP will drop to just above $1000 US. ... Buy the film = expensive. ... Use the film = have no idea what your pictures look like. ...
    (alt.photography)