Re: Surgeons Magnifting Glasses

"amdx" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

http://www.sheervision.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3&gclid=CJCWx-Tk-ZACFRpdagodkXRB2Q

Yes, aren't those cool? and expensive!
So what type lenses are used to make these?

My dentist uses something like this, except that the two telescopes are
permanently mounted on the lenses of his regular glasses, instead of
having an external frame clamped to the glasses. Probably reduces
weight quite a bit.

The optics appear to be Galilean telescopes - a positive lens at the
front, a negative lens near the eye. The focal lengths used determine
magnification and size of the assembly. If you just want to experiment,
plain lenses from some place like Edmund might be good enough. But for
quality equivalent to the commercial ones, you'll probably need to make
each "lens" an achromat, and be anti-reflection coated. Or find a good-
quality pair of "opera glasses" and dismantle them for the optical
parts.

If you want to build the mechanical assembly yourself, you're going to
need access to a machine shop. The individual telescope barrels need to
hold the lenses in alignment, probably with some means of changing
spacing for focusing. Then the mounting frame has to hold the barrels
with exactly the correct spacing to match the user's eyes, with
exactly correct horizontal convergence and minimal vertical aim error
in order to get the two images to fuse properly into a stereo pair.
You'll need some amount of adjustability for this - either in the final
mechanics, or in a jig that you use to measure your particular eyes
(whose measurements are then used to make a non-adjustable framework
that is customized for you).

Essentially, you're building a specialized pair of binoculars that are
focused and converged at a specific distance instead of infinity.

Dave

  • Re: Eye adaptation to lenses?
    ... lenses until we are in our 40s. ... > I'm curious to what extent, if any, the eyes will adapt to lenses. ... > might always be a bias toward the current prescription if there is any ... > more crisp with the glasses. ...
    (sci.med.vision)
  • Re: cataracts, bandpass filters
    ... fixed-focal-length lenses, maybe with astig correction. ... glasses to drive or ski or whatever. ... I've noticed that two eyes have ... Or make some custom glasses to simulate the implants, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: making my own telescope type magnifiers?
    ... the Opti-Visor and their ilk all bug my eyes. ... buying surplus coated lenses I can make my own. ... regular glasses frames that the lenses screwed into, ... with my Opti-Visor, even with the supplementary lenses attached. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Question on Improving my Eyesight
    ... people to spend $50 on an ebook and/or pinhole glasses or plus lenses. ... So its crucial to get prescription reading glasses so your focus point is identical for each eye otherwise you'll be either straining one eye or not using it at all since the brain will take the clearer of the two images. ... Your eyes feel rested and alert. ... You can roughly match your vision with 2 pairs of identical frames. ...
    (sci.med.vision)
  • Re: Adaptive Headlights
    ... that cut down on the amount of light that enters your eyes, ... In the case of automotive headlamps, ... Your eye does not know whose name is on your lenses. ... chief trait of an effective set of night-driving glasses is that they ...
    (alt.autos.bmw)